Goodbye to an old friend

General Cobra & Ace topics
Roger King

Re: Goodbye to an old friend

Post by Roger King »

Marsh wrote:No Nige, it's not.

If I recall, that's the purple one with the white everflex roof?

Mine's a bit more Savile Row than that and a touch older; in fact number 3 Savile Row to be precise... :wink:

L
Beatles last concert on a rooftop? Your car was owned by masonry?
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

The car was originally ordered by Brydor, the company set up by Brain Epstein and Terry Doran to supply cars to a certain popular beat music combo and their close associates, to be supplied to H R Owen in early 1967, but for some reason that order was suspended in early 1967 and was then reactivated later in the year and was eventually delivered early in '68. It was used for a period by Apple Manager Neil Aspinall and then was disposed of by H R Owen to it's next owner in early '69.

The cancellation of the order in 1967 is interesting, given other events going on around that time...

Whilst there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the car was never intended for a band member (and their cars at that time are very well documented, if you know where to look), it would appear that the car was originally intended for someone quite important, who had a close association with Rolls Royces and Bentleys, but ultimately wasn't around by the time the car was ready.

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Marsh wrote:... the car was originally intended for someone quite important, who had a close association with Rolls Royces and Bentleys, but ultimately wasn't around by the time the car was ready. L
Is that when Paul McCartney died and was replaced by Tara Browne?

Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

haha Nik

That was a little earlier in 1966, I think. Look on the Oldies but Goodies rear cover and who is that pretending to be George? Looks a LOT like Tara Browne to me...

The order was cancelled the week after Brian Epstein died. Could be coincidence, maybe not.

We'll never know.

L
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Roger King wrote:The Register is a very flexible feast and frankly the huge variety makes it just about the most interesting owners club I've ever been a part of. Hope to see you soon.
I should add also that I have a lot of time* for someone who can identify a quality wrist piece at 100 paces.

See you soon, Lee!

*see what I did there?
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Very impressive Roger - I hold up my 'hands' to you there...

'seconds' out!
gingerhill

Post by gingerhill »

Lee.

What on earth are you thinking. Really!!!
You've changed.
If I had all the money I'd spent on cars… I'd spend it all on cars.