Goodbye to an old friend

General Cobra & Ace topics
Marsh

Goodbye to an old friend

Post by Marsh »

Dear all

It is with a mixture of great sadness and a little bit of pride that I report the sale of beloved 427 'rep.

Some of you will be aware that I had advertised the car for sale earlier this year and I can report that it has now sold, via my good friends at Classic and Sportscar Centre in Malton to an overseas buyer, who I believe is based in Italy.

The car only went up to them on Friday last week, went live on their website last night and was sold by 10pm, which was pretty good going!

It apparently went for close to it's asking price of £54995, which was very strong money for a 'glass bodied car, but is testament to the fact that well prepared cars will sell in this current market.

Without doubt, this car has been the most enjoyable I've yet owned and that's in no small part to the exceptional people within the 289 community and I do hope that we don't lose touch. I have, however consoled myself with the purchase of the complete opposite of the Cobra, but something I may well have wanted when new in 1967. Still British and still with a big V8 under the bonnet, but a touch more refined; it even has windows and a heater (which might even work) and no, it's not a Jensen or a Bristol.

More to follow soon...

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Re: Goodbye to an old friend

Post by Roger King »

Well, it can't be a big fat ol' Aston - no V8 in '67. Hmm... Gordon Keeble? TVR Tuscan? One of the pre-production-came-to-nothing Humber Super Snipes with a V8? That I would LOVE

Sorry to see you go, Lee - although I sincerely hope you haven't 'gone'. The Register is a very flexible feast and frankly the huge variety makes it just about the most interesting owners club I've ever been a part of. Hope to see you soon.

Roger
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Morning Roger

No, I won't go - you're too good a bunch of chaps for that!

It's a 1967 Mulliner Park Ward 2 door saloon in Midnight Blue with black hides.

It's got a very interesting early history too, with some nice musical connections.

It's due here in a couple weeks, following a little detailing, so photo's to follow shortly...

Lee
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Morning Lee, the quick sale proves that it was a fantastic looking car.
From my opinion there's no blackballing of non 289 / cobra related vehicles, this has been proven by the introduction of the lounge for non cobra related banter and discussion.
I'm sure your new motor will be equally impressive as your Cobra and I look forward to seeing the photos and hopefully in the flesh in the future.
All the best
Migge

Post by Migge »

Near 55T, that must be the highest price ever paid for an AK427 I guess. Well done Lee, price wise
Special customized BRA289
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

It is an incredibly good looking car, congrats & commiserations on parting with the Beastie, I`m glad I got to see it before it went!
All the best with your next vehicle, maybe you`ll be back to more brutish machinery sometime in the future! :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:...maybe you`ll be back to more brutish machinery sometime in the future! :lol:
Come on, Nik - those Silver Shads can be quite a challenge. All that deep pile to wade through before you can flatten the pedal, that intrusive, rhythmnic bellow from the clock, for heaven's sake...
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

To be fair, it has only got 2 doors...it`s almost a Coupé!!!

...AND, what a support vehicle for roadtrips!!!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

hi Lee, glad to see you managed to achieve what must be a record for an AK. You say that your new puchase has music connections, is it the ex Tony Iommi car?

cheers...Nige
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

No Nige, it's not.

If I recall, that's the purple one with the white everflex roof?

Mine's a bit more Savile Row than that and a touch older; in fact number 3 Savile Row to be precise... :wink:

L