Another 427

General Cobra & Ace topics
Roger King

Re: Another 427

Post by Roger King »

Well, at least it's correctly registered as a 'DB Replicas DB427SC', first reg Nov '16, so no worries there for the new owner.

Why would you advertise a car on ebay that's already been sold, according to the headline description? And it doesn't feature on their website...
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

Marsh wrote:Not sure if any of you have following the sale of another DB427 on Ebay, registered 7TXF. Another T289 member, Martin Duffield-Smith alerted me to it (thanks Martin).

The car was apparently sold for £59.950, which seemed incredibly low for this type of car (the last one to hit the open market was advertised for £99,950) by Sovereign Cars. I know the values of these cars all too well and that's way too low a valuation.

This one has now resurfaced on the site for £89.950, but is still apparently sold, so I'm not really sure what is actually being advertised on the site, but the sold price has jumped up by £30k. The seller on both occasions is St Andrews Auto's based in Chelmsford.

Anyone know the car, or the circumstances around its' sale?

L
I do. :wink:
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Thanks for the clarity Dave - I feel much happier now...
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Lee, I thought you were getting chassis 005 ... sig says 008?
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

...Using the approved Shelby renumbering system!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

DaleB wrote:Lee, I thought you were getting chassis 005 ... sig says 008?
Well spotted Dale!

You're right, I was, but we had a slight change of plan!

As you know, I took over the build of 005 as an expedient way of jumping the queue, but the consequence of this was that I inherited a car that was already part built. This would have been fine had I wanted an SC, but I ideally wanted a 'street' specification car and featured such as the non recessed filler were already in place on 005.

Dave and I discussed 'backdating' this and other elements in order to create a wholly accurate 'street' specification car and given the fact that 005 couldn't actually progress any further until the engine and box arrived, we decided to be brave and transfer my build to a completely new body and chassis that would be built from the outset as a full 'street' car, with all of the features correct and intact.

It did require some bravery to effectively see the progress of the build stop and see what was, up to that point my car coming together cease to be, but in reality, it's had no real impact on the build schedule.

So that's what's happened, 005 is going to a new owner, whilst 008 is now gathering serious momentum and is due for completion mid August, pre paint.

L
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

and you know what? I might just run my car unpainted for the remainder of the year, rather than paint it straight away.

I'm desperately hoping to take it to The Revival, subject to DVLA assistance on getting the number (or any number) allocated to the car.

What is clear to me is that between IVA inspection on 22 August and the event taking place is a very tight window of opportunity and there's no way that I'lll be able to get the car painted in the interim, so I never thought I'd say this, but I might go bare, just for this year only. Good thing, or bad thing in the opinion of this forum?

L
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Personally, I'd ask the guy who's going to paint it, as he's the one who will have to deal with the consequences (and give you a warranty!).

Not sure I see the pull of taking it to the Revival. I'd never take my Cobra, unless I had special parking arrangements that avoid it sitting in a field with a whole load of other cars of mixed value/interest. I'd have to admit to always going in a modern.
I don't want to hit you with downers, but passing IVA is one thing - knowing it can sit idling in interminable stationary queues to get in and, worse, out again is quite another. This would be of primary importance to me and is by no means a given with a new engine and cooling system setup. In my experience seemingly identical engines can run cool or very hot when fresh out of the box! Gentle local runs to build up understanding and mechanical confidence might be better...
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

...and I can't argue with such considered advice Roger; my youth and enthusiasm are running a little untethered at the moment with the advent of the car arriving.

In my naivety, I'd hope to take the car down to the Revival on a shakedown, though I agree that 360 miles in a newly assembled car is placing a high degree of faith in an as yet untried piece of machinery.

For me, taking an old car to the Revival is absolutely integral to my enjoyment of the event - without one, I just don't feel a part of it. As a GRRC member, I've never had any issue or concern parking in the pre 66 or 77 car park. It's another high point of the event for me to spend quality time with the car to see how people react to it as there's no more a diverse old car park in the world than this one (and it's probably the only time I ever park my car in a field of other old cars), as I'm quite grumpy about that sort of thing.

Getting in or out of the event is never an issue for me as I'm in very early and out late. Mind you - having seen some of the queue's for late arrivers, I can completely understand why a modern can be the most stress free method of getting to and from Goodwood.

Assuming I do get it here on or around late August, I do have a gentler event to take it to - the Syston Speed Trails, just up the road in Grantham and in truth, that's the one I'm really hoping to take the Cobra to in the first instance and we'll see from there, subject to reliability.

I'll take advice from the painter on the suggested course of action and report back, but don't worry chaps, the car will be painted; I'm not going naturist just yet...

L
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Marsh wrote: my youth
What type of mirror do you use :D
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold