Another 427

General Cobra & Ace topics
Dale Bowman

Re: Another 427

Post by Dale Bowman »

Had a trip down to Stoke the other weekend to chat about a few options with Dave. Currently my chassis is in Poland with the body due to start early / mid April. I'll possibly be flying over to Poland with Dave once my body is complete (about 6 weeks after start) and fitted to chassis for signing off (or not), so I'll take a few photos and post them.
Decided to go down the painted route. I'll keep my choice of colour etc a bit of a secret for now and post a final picture once the car is finished.
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Is the chassis and body made at the Kirkham factory Dale, or has there been a Polish offshoot created?
Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OCD wrote:Is the chassis and body made at the Kirkham factory Dale, or has there been a Polish offshoot created?
Colin
Yes, I hadn't realised these were Polish too.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Dave Brookes makes the chassis himself and then ships them to Poland to have the bodies made and fitted by two guys who used to work for Kirkham.

Dave will be the first to admit that the bodies aren't yet quite up to the same standard as Kirkham, but the difference is only noticeable when it is polished. On a brushed or painted body, there's no difference. That aside, it is a terrific car of real quality and an astonishing accomplishment for a one man business at significantly less than an equivalent Kirkham.

Paul
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

OCD wrote:Is the chassis and body made at the Kirkham factory Dale, or has there been a Polish offshoot created?
Colin
What Paul said :-)

All of their body forming was on a stretcher, but No 004 car had the bonnet created on an English wheel & I must say it looks superb. You cant beat the markings left by an English wheel.
I imagine that as more cars are made their expertise with the wheel will improve and more panels will be made this way. I'm hoping mine will be both bonnet and boot.

kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Dale

If you want to go to Le Mans Classic, it's possible I can hook you up with someone.
Send me an email if you are interested.

Bill
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Some early photos of my body (ooer missus). Going over to Poland early Sept with Dave to sign it off. I'll post some pictures of the finished article. ... getting rather exciting now

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Very nice Dale. I do like to view a nice fabrication.
I remember visiting RR at Goodwood and seeing a bare shell which was a piece of art in aluminium.
Having been asked to sign off numerous fabrications in the past I would check the welding closely especially the chassis as that is the strength of the whole car. Blooby welding often means it's been laid on too quickly and lacks penetration.
As you say it's all getting exciting now that there is something to see.
Peter C
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

The chassis is sent over complete to Poland. Dave does those himself and look great. I think the Polish lads get it powder coated (could be wrong). The only welding they do is between aluminium body panels.

StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Looks very nice Dale, I'm sure you are excited!