Q plates

General Cobra & Ace topics
agnoraan

Q plates

Post by agnoraan »

Why do people see some kind of stigma attached to having a car on a Q plate? I re read a link on one of the threads posted and a new member categorically stated he didn't want a Q plate under any circumstances. Why do people feel like that? is it because they want the public to believe their car must be real because it has an age related plate, whereas a Q smacks of kit car?

In this day and age with the way in which things are going re historic registrations, a Q plate is almost bulletproof and IMHO, it should be seen as such.

What do you guys think? How much value would a Q plated car lose, if any, compared to a car that's passed SVA or BIVA?

cheers...NIge
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Q plates

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Nige -
It could've been me perhaps. I'm trying to make something that looks reasonably authentic, so either a new or a Q-plate wouldn't fit the bill - I'd be disappointed if I got either. Also I seem to remember from my childhood that only milk floats had Q-plates!

Since I'm using donor parts, I wouldn't qualify for a new plate - I haven't bought a kit of brand new bits. And since the DVLA docs are a bit vague about what constitutes a 'major item' from the donor car, I'm worried. I probably shouldn't be, and Gerry says it'll be no problem, but it's still in the back of my mind.

Cheers,

A.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

amulheirn wrote:Hi Nige -
It could've been me perhaps. I'm trying to make something that looks reasonably authentic, so either a new or a Q-plate wouldn't fit the bill - I'd be disappointed if I got either. Also I seem to remember from my childhood that only milk floats had Q-plates!

Since I'm using donor parts, I wouldn't qualify for a new plate - I haven't bought a kit of brand new bits. And since the DVLA docs are a bit vague about what constitutes a 'major item' from the donor car, I'm worried. I probably shouldn't be, and Gerry says it'll be no problem, but it's still in the back of my mind.

Cheers,

A.
Hi Andrew, it's ok, the finger wasn't pointing at you, it was someone that came on here and only posted once :wink: I can fully understand where you're coming from, I just see a Q as a car that has been accepted to have been built to a standard set out by the powers that be, as compared to those Cobras etc that are trying to duck under the radar, having been registered as MG's, Jags etc. At some point, a Q plated car will probably be a valuable asset, whereas the illegally registred ones will lose a lot of value even if it does look correct

cheers...Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

catsx11 wrote:In my opinion, because IVA and the SVA, cars are regulated to higher standards than they used to be in the 70s/80s.
With the combination of better information technology/communication between like minded builders and people with more disposable incomes, may be cars are built to higher standards than they use to be. The 'Q' plate is frowned upon because of the kit-car' industry of years ago.
The old 'Q' plate may affect saleability and although the stigma attached remains, it may one day not be as important.
But for those who want authenticity a Q plate won't do as you say, it blows the illusion out of the water! So the illusion is what sells, not the quality.
Look at Barry's car, it's a 'Q' plate, knowing how it has been built, I'd rather have it than many I have seen for sale with 'normal' plates.
Barrys car is a good case in point, I'll bet that none of the members of the club bat an eyelid at the fact it's on a Q. It doesn't detract from the quality of the car one bit

cheers..Nige.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

You both make a good point! There's no real reason for it - vanity I suppose. I can't afford the real thing, so I'm trying to build it, and (for some reason) the registration seems to matter as well - but quality is what's really important, I'd agree.

A.
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

I'd say it was 90% about saleability.
Q gives it a stigma of questionable build parts, what traceability is there?
How many of us would consider buying a car with a Q plate, how would you value it compared to a car with a dated registration.
When building a 'new' kit car, I personally know used parts are being receipted as new or reconditioned, just for DVLa purposes, which makes it all a bit of a joke, but as long as the plate isn't a Q, it keeps the status quo.
Martin.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I've known Barry's car for years, and to be honest I only noticed it was a 'Q' plate last year on the Tuscany trip!
Bloody fast milk float, is all I can say.