First run of the year..

General Cobra & Ace topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: First run of the year..

Post by peterc »

Dare I suggest that a rad with slightly deeper core or marginally wider might eleviate future concerns and go un noticed as to its inaccuracy within such a brilliant build.
I assume the racing boys have modified theirs especially chucking out 400+ bhp
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I'm sorry, but a car with marginal cooling capacities would soon take the fun out of driving it for me, regardless of how accurate it looked. There's nothing worse than worrying if it's going to boil over on a hot day

Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I didn't think Evans coolant boiled over. :?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

As Clive says we were out at the weekend in bright but very COLD weather.
It's the first time I've had the COB3A out since last September and I'd forgotten how much fun it is.
You just never tire of that V8 bellow :D
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote:Dare I suggest that a rad with slightly deeper core or marginally wider might eleviate future concerns and go un noticed as to its inaccuracy within such a brilliant build.
I assume the racing boys have modified theirs especially chucking out 400+ bhp
Peter C
Early days yet Peter, I've never had an engine run cool from day one if it's been completely rebuilt. I'll see how it goes. Racing cars will have different setups, but a race system does not have to cope with the same stresses as a road car. A racing car is running at high revs all the time, with water pump pressure to match, and has air passing continually through the rad at high speed. In contrast, running for 10 minutes at 3000 rpm then stopping suddenly to queue for the Dartford Crossing or similar, where you can't switch off at idle, is a far more demanding test of a cooling system. You will not see a proper racing car sitting and idling for a quarter of an hour immediately after a race. Too expensive! They also get stripped down every month/week/day anyway.
Evans does boil, Clive - surely all liquids do? - but not until over 180°C, by which point it would all be a bit late... but no, I don't have it in the Cobra at present, just 50:50 water and Millers ethylene glycol.
It's OK Nige, no need to apologise!
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

You're all making me very jealous.
Decided to do some work on the rear axle and convert to peg drive wheels. Sourced hubs from the Stares - quoted 5 week delivery but took nearly 5 months! Axle went to Ward before Christams but had to wait for hubs (sent to him early March). Now quoting early May to be ready! Not terribly happy to say the least. Going to be around 7 months since the epic began by the time I am finished - some people nearly build their car in that time :shock:
Enjoy your driving guys - hopefully catch up sometime
Andy
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Andy,
You never do anything the easy way do you? :?
Can you put it back to how it was for the summer and then start again next Autumn?
Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I don`t think I`ve gone a week without driving mine since November(apart from when I was bed-ridden with 'Flu!)
Mid-Feb, coming home in the dark from Betws-y-Coed in hammering sleet was the least enjoyable journey, although with hardtop & heater we weren`t cold, and only got wet shins where rain was running down the screen pillars! :)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

same as nikbj68 - since June last year for me. Off to the mechanic in may for 3 weeks of tlc.
It's that grin factor that overrides anything else.....