AC Heritage's new cobra

General Cobra & Ace topics
db replicas

Re: AC Heritage's new cobra

Post by db replicas »

So......
If all 1960s Cobras were "Shelby's". And this is because they fitted the engine and gearbox.

Doesn't that (by default) make all current "Shelby's " not Shelby's, but "Greasy Joe's Auto Shop (etc.) Cobras" seeing as Shelby don't fit engine and gearboxes now..... in addition to not manufacturing the rest of the car either ???

Just a thought. :evil: :D :wink:
peterpjb

Post by peterpjb »

the cobra copyright- and name- question is that everlasting question because inventor and manufacturer are two partys, so why not mention both as often proposed? shelby-ac-cobra for the originals....
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

db replicas wrote:So......
If all 1960s Cobras were "Shelby's". And this is because they fitted the engine and gearbox.

Doesn't that (by default) make all current "Shelby's " not Shelby's, but "Greasy Joe's Auto Shop (etc.) Cobras" seeing as Shelby don't fit engine and gearboxes now..... in addition to not manufacturing the rest of the car either ???

Just a thought. :evil: :D :wink:
No matter how partisan, it can't be denied that the "Cobra" wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Shelby. However, the idea of putting and American V8 in a European/British chassis wasn't Shelby's as it had been done a number of times before. I think that where Shelby was different and what made the difference, was that he focused on racing and the road car sales success, such as it was, came as a result of that, which was very similar to Ferrari in the early days.

I suspect that the AC vs. Shelby argument probably wouldn't have started if Shelby himself hadn't constantly tried to downplay AC's part in the story and famously labelled them as a bunch of winos working under railway arches. I don't ever recall reading or hearing of AC trying to downplay Shelby's part. Shelby had form for this behaviour before and since and tried to take all credit away from Peter Brock for the design of the Coupe.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OK, there was some 'input' - but as far as I'm concerned* a leafspring Cobra is an AC, just as my 260 Tiger was a Sunbeam.

*which is therefore my personal opinion only