AC Heritage's new cobra

General Cobra & Ace topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

AC Heritage's new cobra

Post by amulheirn »

I just saw that AC Heritage are bringing out some kind of continuation series with a GM engine in 2017:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/09/ac-h ... to00000015

What do you think?
Roger King

Re: AC Heritage's new cobra

Post by Roger King »

Well, there's a limit to what can be posted on a public forum.

There was an article by Robin Stainer on the 'AC Cobra MkI 260 Legacy Edition' which AC Cars are alledgedly going to build in the latest edition of the ACOC magazine, which put some interesting points. Chief amongst these was a discussion on who is going to build it, as AC are not a car manufacturer: to quote Robin, 'AC Cars closed its last manufacturing facility (the Malta Hal Far factory) in 2008. AC Cars Limited (05226569) describes its business as "management consultancy activities other than financial management", not car manufacture.' Similarly, Robin notes that 'AC Heritage Ltd (06154638) reports to Companies House that it's a dormant company (SIC code 99999).' He goes on to note 'that it could be that the Cobras will be built by Brooklands Cars Limited (07950238); however BCL only reports its business as the "maintenance & repair of motor vehicles" (SIC code 45200).'

So... who is going to be building these cars?

I suppose if they are going to use Chevy engines, and they do a streamlined hardtop version, it could always be called a 'Cobra Daewoo-na Coupe'..
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

catsx11 wrote:I can not believe for one minute that a £100,000 replica with 'heritage' will be any more 'original' than a well executed cheaper sibling.
There are people out there that have that sort of money to buy those sorts of toys, and that is what gives these things their values - demand.
But then if I had that sort of money, I'd probably lose some common sense along the way.
£100,000? The so-called MkI 260 is priced at £500,000...
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

amulheirn wrote:I just saw that AC Heritage are bringing out some kind of continuation series with a GM engine in 2017:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/09/ac-h ... to00000015

What do you think?
I think that the Autoblog reporting is piss-poor, there is no mention on the 'Official' AC CARS website that AC Heritage will build the AC COBRA 378, and neither is the 'Heritage 260' to be built with a live rear axle... :roll:
Also, Alan Lubinsky is not '...of AC Heritage...', he is Director of AC Cars(England), and they only have a 'collaboration' with AC Heritage.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

There's no such thing as an "original Cobra" being built by anyone inc Shelby AI
I can't accept anyone is stupid enough to believe any sales speel about continuations,Brooklands claim is tenuous at best.
Gerry's cars are about the most accurate at the moment IMO.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I agree that an original Cobra must be by definition only those made way back in the '60s not those manufactured more recently. However due to the ongoing demand for good quality classics several Companies have chosen to make a few more as copies hoping to cash in on the demand and make some extra profit.
A continuation or replica model made by the original factory like the Shelby factory in the US must have some cache just as Jaguar have now chosen to make a few more lightweight E type's at around £1 million each.

We choose to build a Hawk because we can't afford the original but there are obviously some people in the world who can afford to go the extra mile and have a factory created copy/replica. As long as the seller makes the buyer aware of the real status of the car I don't see a problem, I just continue to be jealous.
Like most of us I just don't have the monies to spend on any of these wonderful cars but if I did then I would easily be tempted. The next problem would be choosing which one!
One thing is certain they will be a better investment than the over priced and poor copies of Cobra 427's for sale at the NEC.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote:A continuation or replica model made by the original factory like the Shelby factory in the US must have some cache just as Jaguar have now chosen to make a few more lightweight E type's at around £1 million each.
Not sure about that - no Cobra bodies, chassis, running gear, etc. were ever built by Shelby in the US. Jaguars were built by Jaguar in England, as the new old ones are. The point is, AC (as a car marufacturing company with any kind of connection with the original company apart from in people's imagination) simply does not exist any more and hasn't for some time. The 'continuation' (whatever) Jaguars can claim to be Jaguars, the Cobras cannot claim to be ACs. And I will not count 'Shelby' Cobras as in my opinion there's no such thing, and never has been.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

nikbj68 wrote:
amulheirn wrote:I just saw that AC Heritage are bringing out some kind of continuation series with a GM engine in 2017: What do you think?
...there is no mention...that AC Heritage will build the AC COBRA 378...
Originally posted by Chafford on The ACOC Forum wrote:To be built in South Africa, according to Steve Gray.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:
nikbj68 wrote:
amulheirn wrote:I just saw that AC Heritage are bringing out some kind of continuation series with a GM engine in 2017: What do you think?
...there is no mention...that AC Heritage will build the AC COBRA 378...
Originally posted by Chafford on The ACOC Forum wrote:To be built in South Africa, according to Steve Gray.
...so not an AC then.