427 Street Dash Clock

General Cobra & Ace topics
Marsh

Re: 427 Street Dash Clock

Post by Marsh »

Paul Blore wrote:You're quite right Roger, 427 S/C's didn't have clocks, but Lee is planning to build his as more of a road-going 427 rather than an S/C I believe.

As far as I'm aware, the road-going Cobras, 289 & 427, all used mechanical fuel pumps, as did the race and S/C cars, but these also had Stewart Warner electric pumps, two in the case of the 427's. However, even in the race and S/C cars, the primary pump was the mechanical unit with the electric pumps were only being used for priming and reserve.

Paul
Morning all and a very happy New year to you!

Paul is quite right - I am configuring my car as a 'Street' variant, rather than an S/C - no bonnet scoop, underslung exhausts, no roll hoop, grille splitter, front and rear bumpers, street dash with glovebox and 7.5 inch wheels all round. It will retain a couple of S/C features, notably the 'lip' on the rear wings and a competition fuel filler, but aside from that, it will be more 'road' than 'track' in appearance.

As I understand it, the clock was an occasional fitment, rather than a permanent one on Street cars, so at $500, I can afford to dispense with it and invest the saving in other items, such as over priced ash trays that look likely to be available for less elsewhere.

Oh well, I live and learn :wink: It does look rather similar to the items fitted to other cars in period and once again, every day is a school day. At least I managed to recoup some of my potential overspend with a very well priced SAAC Fourth edition for $50 plus postage brand new, which makes me feel a little less annoyed.

Those SW pumps were available for a time via Nick Acton in the 'states and Paul's pumps really are a thing of beauty.

Sadly they appear to be out of stock at this moment in time, which is a real shame as a pair of those ticking away in the boot would have been a lovely addition to my car...

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Paul Blore

Re: 427 Street Dash Clock

Post by Paul Blore »

Nick's pumps are lovely, but they're expensive and they're only rebuilt used items, the same as mine are, which I did myself.

Here's one on eBay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Stewart-W ... Swt7ZXo3CW

The pumps are fully rebuildable, but the switch MUST be functional as their no longer available as a spare part. There are also 6V versions of the pump available, so make sure you get the 12V version.

Paul