427 Street Dash Clock

General Cobra & Ace topics
Marsh

427 Street Dash Clock

Post by Marsh »

Morning everyone,

I need some advice, or quite possibly a sanity check.

I've located an original dash clock for a 427 Street car.

It's NOS and unsurprisingly is located in the states. Here's the rub; It's £400 before postage and duty, but would appear to be as rare as the proverbial.

Before I proceed, are any of you aware of an alternative source of these without the need to sell a kidney?

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
morgy

Re: 427 Street Dash Clock

Post by morgy »

I didn't think they had one? but i'm normally wrong!! :oops:

ImageCobra dash by mark.morgan07, on Flickr
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Hi Mark

I think the honest answer is that some did and some probably didn't; every photo of a street dash seems to differ in some respect and nothing appears to follow a consistently definitive specification.

On that basis, I shall take the view that in a parallel universe mine didn't and save myself £500...

Happy New Year to that!

lee
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Lee,
I think that you have discovered that we all get a little confused about what is the correct dash layout and where does each dial go.
I believe it is caused by the cars being assembled by different mechanics who merely pick up the next gauge and put it into the nearest hole ready for wiring. You could argue of course that the dash would actually need an extra hole for a clock but then if different guys were drilling the dash then one of them might not consider a clock was needed. Plus so many cars were built to order so is it any surprise that they are all a bit different much like our club members interpretations.
If it were half that price you may well have succumbed but heh you won't have time to look at the clock anyway.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Having done some digging around, The clock appears to be a standard Ford item, probably from a Galaxie from what I can make out. You may therefore be able to pick one up cheaper for a Ford than a Cobra.

Paul
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Here's another one, which appears to confirm the Galaxie theory, although it isn't any cheaper unfortunately:

http://www.smithsclassiccarclocks.com/1 ... f-1962.htm
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Thanks Paul - you're absolutely spot on here; every day is a school day and I've learned something new :wink:

My ebay fever has thankfully passed, so I'll take stock before I press 'buy it now', given that it doesn't appear to have been a standard fitting on all street cars. Mind you, I have already weakened today and bought a correct ash tray for $110, so perhaps It's better that I step away from the internet for the time being before I do any more damage!

It's already beginning to feel like I'm building a car piece by piece - and I'm only two pieces in, if you include the Dymo label machine that I bought yesterday.

On that basis, I have just 54289 pieces to go - is that right Roger?

Happy New Year to all you Cobraphiles, may your engines run to factory temperature, your Stewart Warner fuel pumps always tick steadily and most importantly, your number plates be of the correct font, typeface, material and geographically appropriate origin in 2017.

Lee
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Marsh wrote:Thanks Paul - you're absolutely spot on here; every day is a school day and I've learned something new :wink:

My ebay fever has thankfully passed, so I'll take stock before I press 'buy it now', given that it doesn't appear to have been a standard fitting on all street cars. Mind you, I have already weakened today and bought a correct ash tray for $110, so perhaps It's better that I step away from the internet for the time being before I do any more damage!

It's already beginning to feel like I'm building a car piece by piece - and I'm only two pieces in, if you include the Dymo label machine that I bought yesterday.

On that basis, I have just 54289 pieces to go - is that right Roger?

Happy New Year to all you Cobraphiles, may your engines run to factory temperature, your Stewart Warner fuel pumps always tick steadily and most importantly, your number plates be of the correct font, typeface, material and geographically appropriate origin in 2017.

Lee
Yes, happy new year all!!

54290 Lee, you forgot the nut behind the steering wheel. And I am absolutely no expert on 427s about which I know practically nothing. But I hope the ashtray is different from the 289s, as they are available for a lot less than $110. Same as Healey 3000, Jensen Interceptor and a lot of other cars besides. But in 289s they were only an option - some have them, some don't. As for clocks, I wasn't aware that 427 S/Cs had them. And what's all this about Stewart Warner fuel pumps? What about us 289 folk with the original Carter mechanicals - quiet, reliable and cheap?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

You're quite right Roger, 427 S/C's didn't have clocks, but Lee is planning to build his as more of a road-going 427 rather than an S/C I believe.

As far as I'm aware, the road-going Cobras, 289 & 427, all used mechanical fuel pumps, as did the race and S/C cars, but these also had Stewart Warner electric pumps, two in the case of the 427's. However, even in the race and S/C cars, the primary pump was the mechanical unit with the electric pumps were only being used for priming and reserve.

Paul
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The clock is from a 1962 Galaxie, but the front half of the case was chromed rather than zinc plated, which was specific to the Cobra. Here's a Galaxie clock with the zinc plated case:

The clock on eBay has just had the front case chromed to make a it a Cobra clock.

Paul