Chassis plate location on a 427

General Cobra & Ace topics
Marsh

Chassis plate location on a 427

Post by Marsh »

Dear all,

This is a 427, rather than a 289 question, so I'm hoping the definitive answer is out there...

In a 427 bodied car, are there two chassis plates in the engine bay; i.e. a Shelby one on the left hand foot box near to the Autolite voltage regulator, attached to the top of the passenger footbox (in a left hand drive car) and then an AC one on the top of the right hand foot box - is that correct?

I can't seem to lay my hands on a period photograph of an 427 engine bay that shows if both are present in an original car, so any photographic evidence would be much appreciated; the SAAC World Registry 4 is a little unclear, perhaps deliberately so and I dare not ask this question on the ACOC Forum!

Best regards

lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Paul Blore

Re: Chassis plate location on a 427

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Lee,
I couldn't categorically state that the same applies to 427 road cars, but 427 S/C and 427 Race cars had the Shelby chassis plate on the RHS foot box and nothing on the LHS.
I've got a number of pictures of original cars and none of them have a plate on the LHS foot box.
I suspect that Shelby removed the AC Cars chassis plate and fitted his own in the same location and I think I'm right in saying that AC hand engraved the chassis plates, but all of the Shelby ones I've seen appear to be stamped.
I've sent you an email with some pictures.

Paul
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Morning Paul

Thank you - you've confirmed what I suspected - there probably isn't an AC chassis in the engine bay at all, so I'll hold fire fitting one until I can get my head into the 'bay of an original street car, probably in 2037!

See you next week - really looking forward to it.

Lee
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

...But 2037 would be an 260 engined worm & sector Cobra, so wouldn't answer your question! :wink: :P
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

According to Rinsey Mills Original AC Ace and Cobra, which is probably a book you have access to anyway, roadgoing 427s had a Shelby American 'Cobra powered by Ford' chassis plate (no images of snakes!) on the RH footbox top in front of the VR. Mills' photo is of CSX3117, and he notes 'Some chassis numbers were scribed and some stamped - no mention of AC cars!' - so I would assume no other plate. I'm not aware of any car that has legitimately had two chassis plates.

You going with the correct 289-style filler cap too?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Apparently early 427 Cobras had the "COBRA" chassis plate and later cars had the "COBRA" chassis plate with the snake on it.

I believe that Lee's car will have the recessed S/C style filler cap because the body had already been made, but I'm sure Lee will be able to confirm either way.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It would be a fairly simple bit of ally-bashing and a patch weld to replace the hole with the correct style. That kind of detail would bother me, so it probably would Lee too, and much easier to correct now than later.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Gentlemen, thank you.

I'd already acquired the early type 'Cobra' chassis plate, which is already with Mr Brookes as we speak for stamping as appropriate.

Filler cap? Yes - it''s an S/C type, which I will retain, as a nod to my previous car.

The specs of 427's evolved over the years and very few cars retained all of their 'as built' features, so strangely, I'm more than happy to keep this on my car as an idiosyncrasy.

And anyway, I can change it when I repaint it next year - I'M JOKING!

L