FBHVC News

General Cobra & Ace topics
Roger King

FBHVC News

Post by Roger King »

No, don't panic, they haven't banned petrol - yet. It just occurred to me that as I now seem to have been appointed FBHVC rep for the Club, I am happy to do a regular and very brief update to summarise anything of interest that I find when my quarterly mag drops through the letterbox. If the committe are happy for me to do this please let me know. If they'd like it in the mag, I can easily do this and just copy it to Phil, or if it's deemed irrelevant anyway then I'd be perfectly happy not to do it! Don't know if it's worth 'sticky-ing' to make it easier to find - I leave all these decisions up to others.

It's worth emphasizing that the FBHVC relates to historic vehicles and their clubs only, so there may be little in here that is considered relevant to the kitcar, custom car and hotrod fraternity, who will have their own places for this information to be broadcast, although from time-to-time there may be some crossover.

2017, Issue 2

DVLA - more discussion on accuracy of V5Cs and the VES (vehicle enquiry service). From the end of March, the VES will require entry of only the registration to enable a search. The need to enter make as well will be removed. Just tried it - 8th April - still asking for make. Good old DVLA.

Roadworthiness testing directive - The DfT's consultation has been more problematic (for them) than expected so is not yet complete. It looks as though DfT will continue to press for exemption from MoT testing for vehicles over 40yrs old. The terms of the EU directive means they are legally bound to create a new class of VHI (vehicle of historic interest), with the requirement that a VHI 'has not been substantially modified'. They are seriously considering some sort of mileage limit, although FBHVC continue to argue that there is no evidence this will make any difference. There is a possibility of a 'sunset clause' - new term to me, we may be hearing more of this - which will ensure that the difficult parts of any legislation would not necessarily survive following the UK's departure from the EU, as we will no longer have to comply with EU directives. Fingers crossed.

LEZs - historics exempt, kitcars correctly registered not exempt.

Compulsory insurance - following a court case involving a Slovenian farm worker injured by a trailer off-road, there is a huge EU-wide discussion which threatens to require compulsory insurance for everything that moves under its own power, from lawn mowers to golf carts - and including SORN'ed vehicles and museum exhibits and all vehicles unregistered for the road but used in motorsport. The problem here is that government believes it will be impossible to insure a race vehicle for obvious reasons, and the expense involved will kill a huge part of the motorsport industry. Again, there is a possibility of a sunset clause as we leave the EU. More fingers crossed.

Fuel - long term tests by Manchester University on volatility of modern fuels, for carburetted engines - long and complex, but basically stick to superunleaded as it is far less volatile than the standard 95 rated 5% ethanol rubbish. Benefits - apart from the obvious - lower engine temps, prolonged gasket and seal life, less wear etc. 95 rated fuel will make your engine internals run at significantly higher temps than they were designed for, due to the increased ethanol content.

That's the relevant stuff. I'll keep you posted if it is deemed useful enough.

Roger
Last edited by Roger King on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Blore

Re: FBHVC News

Post by Paul Blore »

Thank you Roger, nice report.

I'm very happy for you to continue to post these news updates here, but it would also make sense to publish them in the newsletter as not all members use the forum.

Thanks again.

Paul
David Large

Post by David Large »

I haven't joined us in the FBHVC yet. I am waiting until we get the bank account sorted!

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OK David, but as I'm a personal member anyway I'll start now!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Perhaps an explanation of the acronyms you are using would be helpful Roger. I've just Googled LEZ and it certainly didn't come up with any car related answers! :shock:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:Perhaps an explanation of the acronyms you are using would be helpful Roger. I've just Googled LEZ and it certainly didn't come up with any car related answers! :shock:
Sorry Clive, familiarity breeds contempt. 'LEZ' - Low Emissions Zone. Several major cities and large towns are considering introducing these across the EU and the UK. Sadiq Khan is introducing an ULEZ (Ultra-Low Emissions Zone) for London in Sept 2020, possibly brought forward to April 2019. It seems Ms Sturgeon is planning similar for Glasgow and Embra up your end of the country.

I have promised myself that in these reports I am going to do my very best not to comment on anything I pass on as it is only my intention to report. I don't know how successful this attempt at restraint will be, but we'll see.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Roger can I suggest that you first bite your lip and issue the formal report in one post and then having had a glass or two of wine post your real feelings in a separate post. Then you will have kept the two issues separate. I wouldn't want you to get a Jeckel and Hyde reputation but we do appreciate your honest opinion on these matters remembering you have several classics in the garage.
Peter C
David Large

Post by David Large »

Roger King wrote:OK David, but as I'm a personal member anyway I'll start now!

Thanks Roger.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Roger - much appreciated. Peter's idea of a report, followed by an opinion piece is quite nice - having only been in this a few years it is almost as interesting to see the editorial as it is the bald facts part.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Very little to report from Issue 3 as we are now in purdah prior to the general election.

'Vnuk' EU Insurance Directive
Probably noteworthy is that the UK Government has decided that it will comply with the EU Motor Insurance Directive, and will therefore require insurance of all motor vehicles, whether or not they are used on the highway. FBHVC are preparing a full response to the Consultation document on this, but no developments are expected until after the election.
Briefly, this means that anything that can be classed as a motor vehicle and at some time had the capability to move will require insurance. It looks as though this will include vehicles under SORN, restoration projects, golf buggies, some lawn mowers, agricultural vehicles, and of course vehicles used in motorsport - even vehicles which will never move again, so it seems.

Modifying vehicles
An ongoing case with DVLA is reported regarding the modification of a registered vehicle. FBHVC's advice is that if you are planning to modify the structure of a monocoque vehicle from, say, a saloon to a convertible, don't. In this particular case DVLA have withdrawn the registration due to the modification. Not likely to be of much relevance to us, but...

Roger