Insurance

General Cobra & Ace topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Insurance

Post by peterc »

It's that time of year again for the insurance renewal.
Having just received a general email from the broker to remind me that any modification ( including a respray! ) should be advised to ensure correct insurance I gave them a ring to clarify.
It was an interesting chat regarding what was considered standard for a Hawk. I had always advised that the engine was built by a Hawk recommended engine builder and had disclosed the approx BHP which was clearly better than what Mr Rover provided for his cars. I have no idea whether if this engine was in a basic car that it would be considered as stage 1 or stage 2 but a standard Rover 4.6 probably only has 230 BHP with fuel injection and not 270 with a carburettor.
Their attitude was that they expected a certain level of engine performance for our cars and were only interested in replacements!
For obvious reasons I want to ensure I am properly covered so I was wondering how other members tackle the engine enhancements issue with their insurers.
Peter C
Roger King

Re: Insurance

Post by Roger King »

The premiums will be based on the claims history for cars of that type and with the same pattern of usage. I don't think they get bogged down with minutiae like that - if they did, every single claim could be considered null and void as they will always find something you've changed without telling them, such as an oil filter.

You may laugh, but I've a friend who stuck his car in a ditch for just this reason - a cheap aftermarket oil filter 'O' ring failed and oil sprayed over his rear tyres, with the predictable result. Yes, they paid out.