Consultation on changing emissions standards for kit cars

General Cobra & Ace topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Consultation on changing emissions standards for kit cars

Post by amulheirn »

Gerry has shared news of a Department for Transport consultation that might affect us:

As part of the consultation, it is proposed that kit cars using old engines are held to the emissions standards in place at the time of registration. (Currently, it is the age of the engine determines which emissions levels a car is tested to - so a car with a 1960s or 1970s block would be subject to only quite light emissions testing).

Consultation is happening now and I think we need to give feedback quite urgently - we only have until the 2nd March to do so. From what I understand this could become draft in April this year and come into force on the 1st July 2018.

Document: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... safety.pdf

Excerpt from page 16:

4.11 We are proposing that for kit cars, compliance with the MOT emissions
standards current at the date of registration will be required, despite
the use of an older engine. In other words the current relaxation for emissions
according to the age of the engine will no longer apply.

Annex B contains the consultation questions. Particularly relevant on page 31 is:

10. Are you content to require kit cars submitted for IVA to meet
the latest MOT standards, thereby removing the current rule
that kit cars are IVA tested to MOT standards according to
engine age?

I'm posting this up here to get your views on this. My immediate thought is that this move (according to the executive summary at least) is largely driven by the VW 'Dieselgate' scandal, but that the kit-car industry is being caught up in the process of tightening the rules. It seems somewhat unfair to lump these two together - the impact on kit vendors could be significant. The impact on people (like me) who have a fairly complete car but might have to change the engine, install fuel injection and catalytic converters is fairly significant too.

One question that springs to my mind is what is the relative size of the replica car industry versus the industrial giant VW? If a change in the law is brought in to deal with emissions fraud by large corporations, why simultaneously hammer a tiny industry that gives many people work and/or pleasure?

Details of how to respond are on page 8. If we can collate some thoughts here, I feel the club should respond on behalf of its membership.

Just wondered what your views are on this?

Cheers,

Andy
agnoraan

Re: Consultation on changing emissions standards for kit cars

Post by agnoraan »

:x Andy, rather than put a single response from the club, it is far better for us to reply as individuals, as it will register as a greater number of responses, thereby carrying more weight against the proposals.
Ive been led to understand that this is a forward motion which could affect cars being built after July rather than being retrospective. Cars that are already registered correctly shouldnt be affected
Nige
V8pete

Post by V8pete »

Really bad news if you are mid-build, like me :-( It would appear that the baseline will probably be 200ppm HC and 0.2%CO. We can only hope that there is a change of heart, or at least a longer time interval to allow cars currently in-build to pass under the old limits..
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Some forums are talking about 18th May 2018 as the deadline for getting the car over the line and registered.
This is hardly clear and transparent consultation on proposed legislature.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

agnoraan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 pm :x Andy, rather than put a single response from the club, it is far better for us to reply as individuals, as it will register as a greater number of responses, thereby carrying more weight against the proposals.
Hi Nige - yes - I wasn't very clear: more responses is better, but I think the club should also respond as a representative body. I'm looking for suggestions as to what should be in our responses. I'm mid-build too and don't want to spend loads more money, but I think that won't be a good enough reason ;)
v8pete wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 pm Really bad news if you are mid-build, like me :-( It would appear that the baseline will probably be 200ppm HC and 0.2%CO. We can only hope that there is a change of heart, or at least a longer time interval to allow cars currently in-build to pass under the old limits..
Hi Pete - I think hoping for a change of heart isn't going to do it - we need to write letters to people. It may do nothing, but at least we gave it a go rather than waited for something to happen to us. I'm in the same boat as you.
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Frank289 »

One day we will become like MAD MAX and they will call us burners LOL
John Coward
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John Coward »

This is the paragraph on timing:

"4.6 We are proposing to apply the new WLTP cycle for vehicles approved via IVA with effect for vehicles whose manufacture is completed on or after 1 July 2018. This earlier (than NSSTA) date for IVA is to encourage manufacturers to transition to the new cycle as soon as possible."

Although, further down it becomes clear that WLTP cycle is not being introduced for IVA vehicles, the normal age related MOT emissions test applies, but based on registration date not date of engine manufacture.

Regards, John
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

As with previous changes in legislation like this, I cant see this coming into force immediately. As previously, there is likely to be a period of amnesty, so hopefully it will not come into force in July. It just depends on how long that amnesty could be in this instance
Nige
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Surely this will decimate the kit car industry? All new builders will have to fit brand new (or almost new) engines in their cars to stand any chance of passing emissions tests. Gone will be the days of the 302 and the Rover v8! A 2018 build car will need to pass 2018 emissions tests.......
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.