Hawk 289 IVA testing

General Cobra & Ace topics
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Hawk 289 IVA testing

Post by Jerryedmans »

Hi - has anyone recently taken their build through IVA that I might be able to chat with? I have a few questions on what the best way to approach is to make sure I get the right outcome and if possible retain the historic vehicle status of the "donor" MG registration docs. I am wondering if any testing stations are better than others (i.e. take a more understanding view) - I am based in the Peak District midway between Sheffield and Manchester so could take car to either. Also any advice on the steering wheel? Will it be adequate to wrap the Motolita steering wheel with padding or should I try and get hold of a Mini metro steering wheel to ensure compliance? Also - I have seen adverts by IVA consultants offering help on paperwork - has anyone gone down this route and does it help having someone who may know or have contacts in the IVA testing world to get a carnodded through? And one final question - does anyone live anywhere near the Peak District who has gone through IVA and might be able to cast their eyes over my build before I put it forward?
It would be a pleasure to meet another owner and buy you a beer/pub meal for your troubles! Thanks for any advice or help you can give.My number is 07494554402 if its easier to call. Jerry
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Hawk 289 IVA testing

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Jerry - I just went through IVA, so can tell you about my experience. I'll try to give you a bell at the weekend if thats ok?
Steering wheel was an issue for me - the chap at Southampton wanted evidence that the wheel had a collapsible element in it, which the Metro wheel donated to me by PeterC did not have. So Simonjrwinter is going to give me one - see here: http://www.the289register.com/phpBB3/vi ... 170#p29672

I believe Europa do collapsible elements for steering wheels too - not sure if these are straight bolt-on or may need modifications to fit what you have.

I was in touch with KevinW the other day who had used a consultant for the paperwork. You may want to PM him to see what his experience was. I would be happy to send you a copy of my paperwork if that helps.
Cheers,
Andy
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Um me, but if you read my post in the general section - well I said I would - you might want to speak to someone who knows what they are doing. Pm if you have taken leave of your senses. Cotton mouth
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Jerry, unfortunately you can't keep the historic status of the donor, as your car, after IVA is classed as a "new" vehicle.
Nige
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Jerry,
Paul Jepson is the chap who advertises support with IVA paperwork. I suppose it makes one thing less worrying although the IVA paperwork isn't that difficult to complete. Peace of mind is peace of mind.
Registration and historic status of the donor disappear into the abyss. You get the next age related plate out of the book relevant to your county. I got a *UX plate from Shropshire on a 67 F. No chance of getting the Motorlita wheel through unless you get the wooden rim suitable covered and the spokes too. You might as well try to get a suitable padded early metro (non Honda splined) or other wheel with some kind of adaptor. The collapsible boss seems now to be a requirement. My tester accepted the collapsible horn push.

Post by kenv »

Hi Nige, Are you saying that one is not able to get a period reg number any more only a Q plate or am I misunderstanding (I hope!)
Regards
Ken
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

If you read my post, the next one after Nigel's it explains in a little more detail. Yes you can get an age related plate, but if the donor has historic status (ie. Road tax exempt) this does not transfer across. As the first registration date of you newly built kit is not in the 60's.

Post by kenv »

Thanks Stu, pleased I was being thick as usual 😊
Regards
Ken
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

No worries, we all do it! :wink:
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Before the date of registration of my Hawk I purchased a cheap ‘64 reg plate (as it was the only year that FIA model was produced) and held it on retention for a few months. At registration time the DVLA were going to issue me with another number but probably not the donor one.
The DVLA class this as a cherished number and providing it is older than the true age of the vehicle they will accept it as usable.
Peter C