FBHVC DOT survey re increasing ethanol in fuels.

General Cobra & Ace topics
dodger

FBHVC DOT survey re increasing ethanol in fuels.

Post by dodger »

Hi everybody,

Here is a survey to be done by the end of August regarding government proposals to increase ethanol in fuels. Not so good for a lot of the engines we use.

It is in everybodys interest to fill this out.

http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/legislation-and-fuels/surveys
Dodger.

Still looking for the last open road.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: FBHVC DOT survey re increasing ethanol in fuels.

Post by peterc »

Thanks Dodger. Survey duly completed.
What they don’t tackle is the erosion of Aluminium parts by the ethanol.
I have an Ali engine and Ali carbs and inlet. Some members even have an Ali fuel tank.
Not sure what the main manufacturers do to over come that.
The other problem is we generally do little mileage per year so the government could say it not an issue to care about us when the newer cars will be OK.
Having said that do we know if the cars in Brazil for example which run on increased ethanol and surviving OK.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Don`t be too afraid of the E10, I am running my BMW 130i (2006, 3 l, 265 HP) with E10 95 Octane since many years and also use it in the Dodge van (360ci, 1976) on the long runs with towing. Only when it is stored for a longer time (winter) I fill it with Super E5. On the motorways in France and Belgium you have no other choice than E10, they only sell E5 as the 98 Octane Super + (Very expensive).
Checked with the guys on the Dodge forum in the US which run on E10 already for a long time and no problems.
Karl
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Karl that might be OK shorter term but sounds like they will be phasing out 97+ Octane so those on more performance engines will suffer.
Peter C
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well, we still have 98 and even ARAL ultimate 101 octane and have E20 for many yeats now. There are a lot of "supercars" requiering 98, so these will than all be changed to electric power?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Seems like we have temporarily won one battle of the emissions levels comensurate with engine age but have a long war to fight.
A battery powered Cobra !!!
Again I hope that the thousands of classics around will be allowed to drive on the roads at least for the rest of my lifetime.
Have they thought of the increased level of pollution if we all have to buy a trailer to ferry the car to a show.
Yuck.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The following info has come my way from a fuel expert.

Is it true fuel companies will be slowly getting rid of 98 RON fuel? Is the ethanol increase a way of adding calorific value to the 95 fuel?
“That is correct about changing to 95...and the best is to map the car for 95. The ethanol isn’t to mitigate the loss, that’s just to increase the biocomponent which is seen as a renewable energy source.

The 10% shouldn’t be too destructive to the engine, however they do put additives in to prevent this. Main problem is rust, which they do put an anti rust in to prevent this as ethanol is hydroscopic (absorbs water from the atmosphere etc)

Best bet is to go for a premium fuel as it will have more additive in. BP ultimate, Shell V-power etc (but realise that’s pricy) Or at least fill up even with an oil major basic brand to help protect your engine. They have better additives as they invest more in R&D. And then you can do every now and again with a premium to give it a boost”

“So by increasing the bio component the fuel companies are just pampering to the government policies, does increasing the ethanol actually do anything to improve the emissions thou?”

Yeh it does, burns cleaner...less co2
End of quote

So the 10% ethanol 95 octance will burn cleaner and there should be some additives to prevent destruction of your engine. The comments doesn't cover how to manage without the higher grade 97+ octane. Also as we do not have a ECU to remap the ignition then the jury is out on what real effects it would have. Not that I use supermarket fuels unless its an emergency but the comments give credence to the major suppliers being better quality.
If in doubt it looks like adding octane booster.
Peter C