Cobra is born again as a 378

General Cobra & Ace topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Cobra is born again as a 378

Post by peterc »

Looks like Alan Lubinsky has created a born again Cobra in the form of a 378 model. That’s with a 6162 cc Chevy Camaro engine giving 440 BHP. Assembled in Port Elizabeth, South Africa with a composite body and selling at £90k for the basic model or over a 100k for 550 BHP with a supercharger.
I have yet to read the article but it sounds like they have tried to make it useable by all with bigger footwells and a light clutch operation.
I guess he is trying to appeal to all those additional people interested in classics.
As usual we will have to wait and see if the public want to buy. An interesting alternative to a Kirkham.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Cobra is born again as a 378

Post by amulheirn »

Yes - interesting, that. Some photos and specs here: https://www.accars.eu/models/ac-cobra-378/
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I think that this has probably missed the boat. Why would anyone want to pay that much when you can have an aluminium replica, which is almost identical to an original should you so wish, such as a DB Cobra, or for a little more a Kirkham? Plus the kit market is swamped with cars of a similar spec, but for waaay less money. I suppose the only saving grace is that it carries the AC name.
Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I agree Nige but there may well be an element of buyers who want something easier to drive rather than a car with the heft of an original ‘60’s type car. We accept the limitations because it only cost us a 1/4 or the cost of an original.
If you have that sort of money to spend on a car and it must be a classic design, then it might well be a difficult decision on having something from AC with its historic status or a lovely copy that actually captures the true spirit of the original 60’s design with warts and all.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

A GD MK4 would tick all my boxes. Looks classic, handles superbly, can be had with LS series engines (economy + power) and power steering whats not to like?
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

What’s not to like?
The LS engine has the distributor at the wrong end!
Sorry Simon but you walked into that.
Yes, I have driven my cousins GD and it does seem to handle the bumpy roads well.
His was a 5.0 Rover so I don’t know how the road holding would compare with a cast iron Ford V8.
Peter C