IVA today

General Cobra & Ace topics
simonjrwinter

Re: IVA today

Post by simonjrwinter »

I don’t think Ive written anything derogatory about the IVA, far from it. I have written that they are short on staff ( hence my tester training up 3 more)
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Same for me Simon, recently. Was told one of the testers left at Gillingham, so only one left. Not sure how long it takes to get badged as a tester, but they did warn me about lengthy waiting times had I wanted a full IVA, like several months.
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Hi Simon. I had similar difficulties on brake balance before my test. Mine was Gerry's front brakes and Jag rear. First thing to check is whether you have balance bar the right way round. One side if bar is slightly longer than other. This gives a bit more room to adjust on the side you need it. Secondly, if you need more adjustment you can dispense with the spacers that come with Gerry's balance bar. On mine I did need to go close to the maximum bias to get the correct balance. It's quite a fiddly job not made any easier by the need to drill and split pin the end locking nuts. Your allowed to drive the car to and from appointments at your local garage or MOT station (make sure you gave a booked appointment and your insured) and they can then help you make sure right before the retest. I had to wait about 6 weeks for mine.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I think the balance bar was my main issue. It’s sorted now. I took out the servo that was installed, and put in new brake pipe adjusted and pinned the balance bar. I’ve also put a Wilwood adjustable brake pressure thingy in the rear line (currently adjusted for full pressure) so if there are any “issues” on the day, I can hopefully just take off the cover I made up and adjust the pressure to get a decent reading.
Everything else is now done and the car is sitting, waiting for the re-test. Calling up for a cancellation has so far not been successful.........
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Simon,
If the pressure is adjusted to full pressure and the set up is OK, I'd take that adjuster out.
They are not keen that the bias can be adjusted in any way (for road cars that is). I'm pretty positive that will result in a fail.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Actually it was the IVA tester who suggested it! I know of at least one other car going through with an adjuster. I think they stipulate that you mustn’t be able to adjust it at the roadside, hence it being behind a cover.
Simon
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

If he suggested it then I'm sure it'll be fine then. My tester (back in the day) went to great length to outline the issues with adjustable brake bias, they even insisted on a hand written sticker stating that "adjustment of the break bias invalidates any test performed by VOSA" or words to that effect! That somehow fell off the dash on the drive home from the retest.