289 FIA Build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
iansutch

289 FIA Build

Post by iansutch »

Hi all

I am considering building a 289 FIA but am having the usual doubts about whether I am biting off more than I can chew and the overall effort involved (2 years+ doing weekends only?)

I have read some of the blogs but still dont have a clear idea on this so was wondering if anyone who had built one would sell me a build manual and give me some advice about tools required and general level of technical experience necessary?

I am based just south of Guildford - are there any 289 owners/builders locally based who I could pop over to see and have a natter with?

Thanks in advance, am off to Le Mans Classic tomorrow so hoping to meet up with some of you there
Paul Blore

Re: 289 FIA Build

Post by Paul Blore »

Welcome Ian,

There is a vast resource of knowledge available to hand on this forum, so don't be daunted and just get stuck in.
Which route are you taking to Le Mans? There is a group of us taking the Newhaven - Dieppe crossing tomorrow night and we're meeting up at the Chip Shop on Madeira Drive in Brighton at 7:00pm and you're welcome to join us.

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Ian,

I assume you are talking about a Hawk FIA. I was pleasantly surprised how easy my 289 was to build. The standard of the Hawk chassis/body is so good there is very little fettling to do and most things just seem to fit. As long as you are methodical and don't rush, and if you can do basic car maintenance you will be OK.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
iansutch

Post by iansutch »

PaulB wrote:Welcome Ian,

There is a vast resource of knowledge available to hand on this forum, so don't be daunted and just get stuck in.
Which route are you taking to Le Mans? There is a group of us taking the Newhaven - Dieppe crossing tomorrow night and we're meeting up at the Chip Shop on Madeira Drive in Brighton at 7:00pm and you're welcome to join us.

Paul

Thanks Paul, our group are heading off from London on the eurotunnel crossing for thursday morning, but appreciate the offer. I am hoping to see some of you 289 chaps when I get there though so will be on the lookout.
iansutch

Post by iansutch »

clive wrote:Hi Ian,

I assume you are talking about a Hawk FIA. I was pleasantly surprised how easy my 289 was to build. The standard of the Hawk chassis/body is so good there is very little fettling to do and most things just seem to fit. As long as you are methodical and don't rush, and if you can do basic car maintenance you will be OK.

Hello Clive

Yes most definitely a Hawk 289. Glad to hear you found it straightforward, that is reassuring. If I can get all the donor parts already refusrbished and ready to go then that removes one big headache for me. Need to see if Gerry can supply these or get them from another source

Thanks for your comments.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Ian -

I'm local-ish to you - I live about 2 miles outside Farnham. I'm building a standard 289, although progress is a bit slow: not started on the car yet, but have rebuilt the engine and have that running on a test stand. I do have the chassis, body and various suspension parts in the garage, so if you wanted to come and have a look at it, you'd be welcome. Just PM me and I'll give you my contact details.

My current state of play can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1801

Cheers,

Andrew
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Ian
Have tried to PM you but its not appeared to have worked
I live in Guildford and have a Hawk 289FIA if you want to have a chat and or view anything on the car.
peterc
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Ian
I hope that you have now rec'd another PM with my contact details.

PS
I'm at the Cranleigh Classic on Sunday if you are interested.
peterc