project insanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: project insanity

Post by nikbj68 »

You see.... that`s what I like about this club.... You`re all heart. :lol:
I`ll bear your offer in mind Clive... really... I will.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Def 39PH from the options presented. My weak spot has always really been COB6041, but then this is based on a slabside as per my car.

I would like to 'evolve' my car in this direction but don't have the skills.

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

In 1968, Dad raced his Cobra with Nick Granville-Smith in this one, and an Ace, in a 6-hour relay race at Silverstone as the ACOC 4-car team(Yup, 3 cars in a 4 car team... not a great start!). They didn`t do very well!!!

Not changed a huge amount since it`s period racing days:

[url=http://www.pro-steilstrecke.de/index.php]Image

BUT it has varied on occasion, at Spa & Goodwood, the year after:

Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

I suspect very little of the car is original now given the number of crashes and burn damage - this is the car known as the 'Pheonix'.
I'm particularly keen on the look of the boxed off arches as per 39PH.

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Migge

Post by Migge »

COB 6041 had a fatal front crash at SPA 6h in 2007. I picked up 2 pieces of body filler from the front. The whole front was shaped from filler up to 1 1/2"!

Special customized BRA289
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

[quote="dwoodwar"]Def 39PH from the options presented. My weak spot has always really been COB6041, but then this is based on a slabside as per my car.

I would like to 'evolve' my car in this direction but don't have the skills.

That's a really nice looking car and isn't too difficult to replicate. To extend the wheelarches is quite simple really, especially on a 'glass car. It's just a case of splitting the outer face from the arch itself, but leave around 5mm of the "top" of the arch attached to it & then put in a filler strip between that & the arch section on the wing & then blend it all in. :) . If you ever decide to "go for it" let me know & I'll try to help :wink:

cheers...Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

catsx11 wrote: So Nige, as for your question about a race inspired car, I at first was worried about mixing 'styles' of one with another, but what is an original? They all seem to differ for one reason or another.
I've been "collecting" images off the 'net of cars & styles that I like for reference, and I've now got over 1000 of the damn things. In doing so, I've come to the conclusion, like yourself, that there really is no right or wrong style wise unless you're going for concours originality. The race cars all seem to have morphed over the years into the cars they are now & changes have been made as a racing necessity as opposed to styling. I'm taking the styling cues from the cars that I like and I'm trying to make my ideal car. I just hope it looks right, not like the Frankensteins monster I created when I tried to mentally put all of the good features of past girlfriends into my vision of my ideal girl :P :lol: :lol:

cheers...Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Prior to asking the question above re wheelarches, I'd already worked out how I was going to do mine & where I was going to cut them, having used Alans measurements once again for reference. I had a few minutes in between coats waiting for some primer to dry, so I figured I'd make a start.

I wanted to keep the bottom of the new lip in line with the bottom of the old fibreglass one, as having looked at loads of photos, the arch should sit nicely over the tyre at this point with the amount of drop the suspension will have. I decided I wanted to make the arch 30mm narrower than it was, so I marked out the cut marks in indelible pen & then taped the line to cut

I wanted a bit of a flared arch to the rear to stop all of the stones & water coming down the sides of the car, so this was left slightly wider at this point & forms pretty much a striaght line down from the top of the arch centre.

Using a 1mm cutting disc I then cut off the arch