Oil catch tank[new to the register]

289, FIA & Daytona topics
lozash

Oil catch tank[new to the register]

Post by lozash »

Hi , I'm relatively new to the register and after collecting parts for a long time now have placed an order with Gerry at Hawk Cars for a 289fia.
Just thought I would post some pictures of an oil tank I have had made close to the original which was made from an old lawnmower tank!!!!.
I am not a purist but wanted to prematurely age the tanks mirror finish so I have, :lol: don't laugh :roll: rubbed black heat resistant paint into the welds, given it a good rub over with course wire wool then autosol and added an original Fomoco Decal, Happy with the result although as I have said Im not a complete purist. :D
Should become more subtle when its been on the car a year or so :?: Thanks for looking
Paul Blore

Re: Oil catch tank[new to the register]

Post by Paul Blore »

Looks good, although it certainly wouldn't have had a FoMoCo sticker on it as it wasn't made by Ford. I believe you're probably closer to original than you may have realised because the original "puke" tanks were made from something like lawnmower tanks.
I'm not sure whether the 289's had puke tanks, the 427 S/C & race cars certainly did.

Paul
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Well done on the order, lots of fun hours ahead.
As Paul says, not sure that 289s had the puke tanks, the slabsiders didn't.
Not to worry it's your car, put in what you like. No-one will chastise you for minor inaccuracies! Well I won't for certain! :mrgreen:

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Good work - looks great. Agree with the others, make it yours. I really admire what Roger is doing by being absolutely anal about getting his new build as period correct as he can but it take a very very special approach to do that. A friend of mine rebuilt the Mickey Thompson quad Pontiac LSR car for Mickey's son Danny and he went as far as tracking down a supply of the waxed string (same sort of stuff they used in the early days of mainframe computers) to bind parts of the loom rather than using modern tie wraps. I'm pleased there are people out there who take that approach but it would drive me nuts :shock: For me, creating what you can from what you can get hold of or what you know works makes it really personal. It's what period racers did. Look at early pics and books of original cars and you'll see that very few of them looked anywhere near as smart and shiny as those that rock up at Goodwood every year. Look at the early pics of one of the most famous of all 289s.

http://www.cobracars.be/csx2142.html

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I think Robin sums up our different approaches well. This is what to a great extent makes this Club more interesting than the typical classic car OC, because we have a much more diverse membership aiming for very different things.
On the 'puke', or expansion tank, issue - yes, I'm aiming for as much originality as I possibly can, actually making my car less practical in the process. But having said that my cars do get used, and once 'broken in' I hope to take it abroad as often as is reasonable once I have gauged its abilities and reliability. For that reason I will use the Evans coolant which all my other cars use, and it will have a discrete expansion tank underbonnet somewhere to maintain a better coolant capacity. My approach is a combination of ridiculous (i.e. uneconomic) originality with minor modifications which may have been typical in period to increase practicality. I am not building a pickled-in-aspic museum piece.
Not quite.

R
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Roger - hats off to you for what you are doing. Seriously impressed. I thought it was just us owners who were pickled in aspic. No, wait a minute - that's gin.

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Old Boy Racer wrote:Roger - hats off to you for what you are doing. Seriously impressed. I thought it was just us owners who were pickled in aspic. No, wait a minute - that's gin.

Robin
10 past 6 on a Saturday - any second now - I think tonight will be an RAC: gin, dry vermouth, sweet vermouth, dash of orange bitters, dash of grenadine, twist of orange and a maraschino. Should do the trick.
lozash

Post by lozash »

Old Boy Racer wrote:Good work - looks great. Agree with the others, make it yours. I really admire what Roger is doing by being absolutely anal about getting his new build as period correct as he can but it take a very very special approach to do that. A friend of mine rebuilt the Mickey Thompson quad Pontiac LSR car for Mickey's son Danny and he went as far as tracking down a supply of the waxed string (same sort of stuff they used in the early days of mainframe computers) to bind parts of the loom rather than using modern tie wraps. I'm pleased there are people out there who take that approach but it would drive me nuts :shock: For me, creating what you can from what you can get hold of or what you know works makes it really personal. It's what period racers did. Look at early pics and books of original cars and you'll see that very few of them looked anywhere near as smart and shiny as those that rock up at Goodwood every year. Look at the early pics of one of the most famous of all 289s.

http://www.cobracars.be/csx2142.html

Robin
Thanks, I have been down the perfectionist road before with previous car restorations of which I can quite easily do, but there is a fine line between a perfect car and a lunatic asylum and then you cant use the car anyway :shock: , I have learned to manage my disease after coming to the conclusion that if you are a true perfectionist the finished product has always got an imperfection usually a piece of microscopic dust in the paint work, so I am going to have fun building the car and not be scared to use it when its finished, I will post a couple more pictures of some bits I have been paying about with, I know Trico stickers don't go on Ford Mustang washer pumps but "what the hell" I like It :lol: Thanks for all the feedback.Image