Looking for a Hawk 289 FIA

For Sale and Wanted Section
Tapped

Re: Looking for a Hawk 289 FIA

Post by Tapped »

nikbj68 wrote:...OR, you could have THIS ONE... as seen in my Avatar!!! 8)

OOps, sorry, I know it`s not an FiA... :roll:
Ah...discussed on FB forum. As Mr B says, poor thing has a bit of an identity crisis too doesnt it? Street dash without glovebox, weird hoop stay, underslung exhausts but s/c type scoop etc.

Body doesn't look quite right for an S/C style car either (possibly too much mkIV in it).

I dont quite understand why the gear lever is where it is? Although I've since seen another "continuation" car like that.

Helluva price for a replica, and yes, it is a replica really isn't it boys and girls?!
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

colesR wrote:Hi,

I looked at the Sherwood Hawk FIA and was very interested in purchasing it until i saw the V5 where it was still registered as an MG and told that it was built in 2010 but had not gone through the IVA process. i checked around to get an idea of the cost of putting it through the IVA but the cost estimate was significant and no way of confirming that it would not end up on a "Q" plate - decided to leave well alone

Richard
from Sherwood's email to me:

"It is also very important to note that it has been built by a race engineer and put together originally for his brother, so it has been done with far more care than you usually find with vehicles of this nature"

.....whilst failing to register it fully and being a bit sloppy under the bonnet it would seem :D
Karl

Post by Karl »

James Baxter was building at the same time like me, so we had contact about some difficulties. We exchanged some mails through the forum. When you go back to 2007 - 2008 you can have a look at his troubles.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I looked back through all of James Baxter's posts. There's lots about building the car and fitting SVA parts, but none about the SVA test as you might expect. Odd....
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

simonjrwinter wrote:It's still registered as an MG so (in my eyes) only worth half what they are asking.
Half! 21k ? That's Sumo territory. What would you like to see it registered as and do you really think it's going to influence the value to that extent?

Better to focus on the quality of the build.

Post by agnoraan »

colesR wrote:Hi,

I looked at the Sherwood Hawk FIA and was very interested in purchasing it until i saw the V5 where it was still registered as an MG and told that it was built in 2010 but had not gone through the IVA process. i checked around to get an idea of the cost of putting it through the IVA but the cost estimate was significant and no way of confirming that it would not end up on a "Q" plate - decided to leave well alone

Richard
A Q plate could well be seen as bullet proof regarding legislation for registering a car in the future, so it might be no bad thing. The last thing that I would want right now would be a car registered as historic. There's a lot of stuff going on in government that, at some point in the future, could have asevere impact on historic vehicles and there use. The only way to go really is to have a car that has gone through SVA/IVA or one that has grandfather rights and has been registered correctly

You could not put that car through IVA as a home builder, as you need to have documented proof for the purchase of all the parts, plus evidence of it being an amatuer build, ie build photos

cheers...Nige
David Large

Post by David Large »

My car is registered as an MG Mk2 Cobra. It predates IVA and SVA. I took it to be inspected by the DVLA and they wrote to me to tell me I could keep the number and that the V5 would say MG Mk 2 Cobra. I suggest it is correctly registered.

I am with Dave Woodward on this, I suspect there are far wider registration problems than being called an MG.

David

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
colesR
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by colesR »

Hi,

I looked at the hawk and was really keen to buy it but the fact that it was built in 2010 without having gone through the IVA process, was registered as an MG and had historic status put me off completely. In theory it should not have been registered without going through the IVA process and I cannot understand how it has been registered. The advice I had was to walk away from it which I did

Richard
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I suspect it was merely registered under the donor document, with engine size and number change, possibly colour also.

The problem will arise if DVSA do get more proscriptive on taxation classes. Their main angle is that cars registered as historic when in fact they are not are, in effect, a form of tax evasion and hence illegal. The byproduct of this is that, if they are judged not to be historic, they will need an IVA test and proper registration. IF* they do go the route of checking 'historic'-ness, via owners' clubs, the MGOC (or whichever authority they decide to use) will say 'no, this is not an MG'. Then the car becomes unuseable, unless it can pass an IVA, but by then the position of donor car etc. will be very difficult to ascertain.
Kit cars are in a different, and complex, position in all this. Half have been given historic status in good faith, because that's what the local office said they should have, and half haven't, because the local office has said they are new with old components - the build date. The local offices have now gone and DVSA are trying to tie up a lot of loose ends. Clearly it would be difficult (and unfair) for them to go back over all kitcar builds and rescind historic status coupled with demanding a test. We had the amnesty in 1998 and there should now be no incorrectly registered cars out there.
A big concern with this car is insurance. How can you insure an MGB or whatever for an agreed value of 50K or more? If you pranged it and did 5K-worth of damage, surely they'd write it off as an MG? If it's insured as an MG and does not have an MG chassis on examination post-crash, any payout might be problematic.

*and currently, let's hope that's a big 'if'