Ali transmission tunnel

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Ali transmission tunnel

Post by amulheirn »

Sorry Dave - I hijacked your thread!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Sorry Dave - I think the answer is, there isn't one - each car is too different to have set measurements. Hawks have fibreglass tunnels, Kirkhams have ali - which are a different shape/size from the 'glass ones so wouldn't fit the car.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Dave - I've got a Hawk fibreglass tunnel that isn't in the car at the moment. So would be happy to make templates for you if I'm doing it myself. But do I remember right that you've got a BRA?
Migge

Post by Migge »

If you make a new tunnel, let Roger make the template from his Kirkham because it's asymetric like the original one. The Hawk one is wrong like any other replica tunnel
Special customized BRA289
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Andy, it's not a BRA it's a Hawk.

Think I'll just make my own.

Thanks all for your many and varied inputs :lol:

Post by Maxakarudy »

This is a great guy on FB, have a look at his post it gives you an idea, scroll down his page.

https://www.facebook.com/TrueMetalshaping/?fref=ts

Martin
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Maxakarudy wrote:This is a great guy on FB, have a look at his post it gives you an idea, scroll down his page.

https://www.facebook.com/TrueMetalshaping/?fref=ts

Martin
Thanks for the link Martin, I remember seeing that Facebook page a while ago and forgot to save it, and had a bit of a senior moment and couldn't remember what it was called doh!

cheers...Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Migge wrote:If you make a new tunnel, let Roger make the template from his Kirkham because it's asymetric like the original one. The Hawk one is wrong like any other replica tunnel
Well... actually, I'm not using the one Kirkham supplied. I did cut the gearlever hole in it, for toploader HEH-E (Sunbeam Tiger) stick position, but when I started trimming the car it rapidly became apparent it wasn't going to fit with carpet, for reasons mentioned above. Kirkham (or at least on my car, there's so much variation) make the tunnel fit snug over the ally as it would in a racing car with no carpets.

So, I have a spare Kirkham ali tunnel, with some hefty beating to clear the toploader shifter mechanism, going spare. I have absolutely no idea if it would fit the Hawk as the floor will be completely different - Hawk floors are 1.5-2" higher up than ACs, due to clearance being allowed for MGB leafspring mounts underneath. This probably means the tunnel is shallower, so mine would be too tall. But if someone can seriously use it I won't chuck it out, but they'd have to pick it up. It's too big to post!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Sounds like nothing a pair of tin snips and a universal adjuster couldn't fix :wink:

Don't start again !

Post by Rusty77 »

Hello Dave,

The car that Nik now has is my old car. I had the tunnel made as didn't want to fit carpets etc...... Anyway, to cut a long story short I am now building another Hawk and will be getting an ali tunnel fabricated so if you are still looking at this then let me know and I can get 2 made up. always willing to amend the design to get something a bit more authentic.

Cheers

Pete