Slabside Wanted - US / Left hand drive

For Sale and Wanted Section
Roger King

Re: Slabside Wanted - US / Left hand drive

Post by Roger King »

No, it's all part of the casting at the base of the lever. More likely it's an aftermarket shift mechanism such as Hurst, which doesn't use the lockout.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I have no idea what the lever is on this particular car, but the original gear levers on 427 Cobras was a lever from another Ford car reversed through 180 degrees. I thought it was a Galaxie, but I wouldn't swear to it.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

You can't 'reverse' a toploader gearlever for the reasons I've mentioned, it just wouldn't work. I strongly suspect that 'reversed' in this context means cut above the base section, turned through 90° and welded back into position.

This is the base of a typical Ford toploader shifter:

That little tab sticking out is what operates the reverse lockout against the shifter rod mounts. If the whole stick were turned through 180°, it couldn't work with the rods as it would be on the wrong side (I think Dave had a problem with this when assembling his shifter following his toploader conversion, until he got it the right way round!). That's why I think 'reversed' means cut and welded.

Roger

edit - here's a Galaxie lever, you probably need a bit more 'crank' on it for a 427, and maybe a bit more 'lean'. I bet they cut it, removed a section, and welded it on backwards at a more acute angle. Just my thoughts!
http://www.dearbornclassics.com/1964+fo ... -1964.html
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:That's why I think 'reversed' means cut and welded.
Quite possibly Roger. :)

Paul
66gtk

Post by 66gtk »

I found an ERA slab side in Florida. It will cost me about $1500 to get it to MN, but it's a nice car. I'd like your impression/opinion on what it might be worth, please? It was professionally built by Cobra Restorers (GA) in 2014 and is essentially brand new with only 700 miles on it. 289 with supposed HiPo cam/spec build. All the nice period correct appointments. Black over black. It has 16" Kidney Bean wheels with the 5 PIN adapters. Inboard Jag rear 3.08 gears with a T-10. Owner wanted $78K, but I think we are getting closer to reality. Any thoughts on value? Thanks!

Troy
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Can you share some pictures?