Voltage regulator

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Karl

Voltage regulator

Post by Karl »

For people who have an alternator with the fenderwall mounted, old mechanical relay regulator, there is a electronic regulator available, which just mounts on the back of your alternator ( see pictures) and you basically have a one wire hook up.
Regards Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Baxter

Re: Voltage regulator

Post by James Baxter »

So that's an Autolite alternator? Without internal regulator, but the external ones are no unreliable, but you've found an electronic one?
- That's exactly what I need too.
Where did you get it?
One wire hook up?
What about the three brown wires?
Cheers,
James
Also intersted in all AC's, Frazer Nash, Pre-war cars
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi James,
Its from the US, http://www.alternatorparts.com In the meantime I found also an electronic regulator in the black housing of the relay (mechanical) regulator, but lost the site. The wires are black, red, green and yellow. The orange one is for the control light. I am not sure if you need to connect it, I have to check when everything is up and running. On the red stud B+ you connect your cable to the loom, that should be all what is needed.
Regards Karl
James Baxter

Post by James Baxter »

I'm pretty surprised! One wire hook-up!
Surely you still need to connect wires to carry the voltage made by the regulator! I understand the orange wire, and that is my understanding too, in order to make the alternator work. But that wire won't carry the generated voltage.
JB
Also intersted in all AC's, Frazer Nash, Pre-war cars
Karl

Post by Karl »

James, the stud with the red plastic surrounding (B+) that is the alternator output, here the power to the battery is connected. nothing more needed. Regulator senses the voltage, plus and minus and then field and stator ar controled accordingly. The one for the lamp (I think at the moment) is not needed for the function, but need to check.
regards Karl