Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Post by agnoraan »

I had this through today in an email from Classic and Sportcars magazine

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news ... e=20160302

cheers...Nige
Roger King

Re: Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Post by Roger King »

It makes for rather depressing reading, doesn't it? I hope the FBHVC hold their nerve and stand against this. I know the 'modified' brigade don't have any faith in them, but they are all we have and they do seem to have a voice. I'm a personal member of the FBHVC (rather than a 'club-affiliated' one), and I know from their magazine that they were incensed by the recent BOC antics. The BOC tried to face DVLA alone and deal with the problems 'in-house', which left the FBHVC out on a limb. Like 'em or loathe 'em, they are our best chance of trying to get something done - apart from the obvious option of voting to leave the '4th Reich' (as someone on the C&SC thread has described the EU), that is.
I regularly lobby the FBHVC to ask that they don't forget the more modern classics or the modified cars. Above all we must all hold together in this, pre-war vintageants alongside sixties hotrodders. Present a united front! And vote OUT! Vive la France! No, wait...

See you in prison,
R
Karl

Post by Karl »

This is nothing new to us. When you want to have historic status (+30 years old) the TÜV engineer has to follow the rules, he can look a little right or left, but generally it is all writtten down in what status the vehicle has to be. When the original had solid disc brake, nothing else is allowed, if there is advertising on trucks or vans it must be in the style of the year and they told me not to tow a modern trailer with the Dodge. Things go on, if anybody is interested I can send this regulations, but only in German.
Karl
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

It seems to me that if this potentially affects club members, then we should (as a club) be doing something about it - if nothing else, banding together with other clubs to understand the matter properly and add a voice of dissent. It looks like we're not even a member of FBHVC at the moment.

I don't particularly want to be in the crazy situation that Karl describes with the trailer. How long before the driver and passengers will have to also wear period-correct clothing before climbing into an old vehicle?!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:How long before the driver and passengers will have to also wear period-correct clothing before climbing into an old vehicle?!
I think that's far more likely to be compulsory wearing of hard hats, ear defenders and eye protection than period clothing.

The only body with a political voice is the FBHVC. And, of course, there's a club subscription to the Federation were we to join. Personally I think this is a good idea as it has to be the most effective way. But - the Mustang Owners' Club of GB won't join, because they say the majority of their owners have new (or recent) cars. And it may well be that members of our club will not wish a percentage of their membership sub goes to membership of FBHVC, as we are a kit car club and for some 'historic' doesn't apply. My feeling is that this is a minefield with all sorts of fall-out legislation affecting us, even though that may not be its intention. Any one of us with a car registered as 'historic' is in a very vulnerable position, never mind what DVLA or local offices etc. have said to us in the past. Don't forget, EU law overrides anything the UK government does or has done in the past. A perfectly legally registered car can become unusable in the twitch of a bureaucrat's typing finger!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger,

We are an "enthusiasts" club, not a "kit-car" club. We have a number of original cars amongst our membership and I'm pretty certain the owners wouldn't be interested in joining a kit-car club.

Semantics possibly, but important nonetheless.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I didn't mean that in a pejorative sense. It's just that my experience of clubs with a number of members who are not directly affected by this kind of legislation (such as the aforementioned MOCGB) resist paying a club subscription to such as the FBHVC because many of those members would reap no benefit. The 289 Reg was initially a kit car club, based around the BRA and Hawk 289 kit cars, with no owners of original cars. It has many members with cars that are not registered as historic, who would therefore not be affected by any such legislation.
Just saying - I'd be very happy for the club to be affiliated to the FBHVC! Strength in numbers!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

We could add a field into the members database to indicate whether a member's car had historic status and ask members to update their details. We could then get a measure of how many owners would be affected and then take a view on whether FBHVC membership should be considered.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

There is always the view that anti-historic legislation would affect the entire club anyway - the format and the people within the club would change dramatically if it were to be adopted. But yes, it would be more democratic (an ironic ideal, given that we're discussing the entirely non-democractic EU) to canvass members' feelings.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Okay, I've added a tick box to the car details on the members database to indicate whether the car has historic status. Go and update you own details.

Paul