Coolant system upgrade

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Coolant system upgrade

Post by StewbieC »

Coolant system upgrade is coming together, new header tank from stateside, new rad from Brise 10% bigger than the one stuffed up the nose cone and a few extra bits and bobs. Just got to finish the shroud off for the rad but happy with the result so far. Maybe not up to Rogers standard, but I see my effort as a recreation of an original!!
Let me know your thoughts! :shock:
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Coolant system upgrade

Post by peterc »

Remember that you need to prevent any air from going around the rad and thus not flowing through the matrix. Yes it sounds obvious but for several years I just made do with Gerry's mountings to mount the rad and to block off each side. Some air could still spill over the top which I thought would be acceptable to assist in airflow throughout the engine bay. I added a subsequent baffle aligned with the top of the matrix and blending into the top of the nose dropped the temperature by several degrees.
Commercial cooling systems will always align the internal sides of the ducting with all four sides of the matrix and not include the headers.
Obviously this isn't always that easy in the confines of the cars rad inlet area.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Thanks Peter
Some of the cardboard templates are already made, just need to get busy with the jigsaw and the ally sheet.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Is that a cheeky little dummy leafspring I spy?

How did you manage to up the volume from the stock Hawk size and still get it between the chassis tubes? Is it just a lot thicker?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Nothing gets past your eagle eyes Roger!

It's the same core thickness as your rads, which were slightly thicker than the Hawk rad. Its taller and very slightly wider than your original dimensions. Core size is 450mmW x 440mmH +45mm headers top and bottom.

That "cross brace" is made from powder coated aluminium leaves on a bracket that "models" the original leaf spring mount which bolts onto Gerry's header tank mounts. It fills the gap ;).
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Aha. Now you need to do the rear! Jag, with the XJ40 outboard rear discs... very convincing when viewed through the wires...

Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

StewbieC wrote:That "cross brace" is made from powder coated aluminium leaves on a bracket that "models" the original leaf spring mount which bolts onto Gerry's header tank mounts. It fills the gap ;).
That looks very good. 8)

Does the "spring" disappear through the inner wings as it would do if it was real? It is difficult to see from the photo.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:
StewbieC wrote:That "cross brace" is made from powder coated aluminium leaves on a bracket that "models" the original leaf spring mount which bolts onto Gerry's header tank mounts. It fills the gap ;).
That looks very good. 8)

Does the "spring" disappear through the inner wings as it would do if it was real? It is difficult to see from the photo.

Paul
You could hide the ends behind a rubber flap fixed to the ally panels, originals disappear through the flap.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I did think about the rubber flap on the side walls, the spring finishes just short of them. Then I decided not to bother at this stage. Owing to the engine being further forward and higher than in an original. The spring is also further forward than it should be. It doesn't look odd as it fits in with everything else and I was surprised how realistic it did look after I fitted it.
I'll give it the acid test in a couple of weeks when Gerry sees it! :shock:

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.