Project Sanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Roger King

Re: Project Sanity

Post by Roger King »

Maxakarudy wrote:
Roger King wrote:The rear wheel arch was hammered, not wheeled - and a very complicated shape at the top of the B post (hence the use of the hammer). Personally I think it would look better as original with just a piece of split leather stretched and glued over the curved arch. I suspect a lot of racing cars started out that way. No padding, just skived leather glued to the metal - you can see the outline of the rivet heads beneath it.
It would have been wheeled originally at AC, the Kirkham cars use a hammer forms to produce panels, hence the difference.
Martin
The main body of the arch would be wheeled, but you can't wheel sharp creases for the top section!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Roger King wrote:
Maxakarudy wrote:
Roger King wrote:The rear wheel arch was hammered, not wheeled - and a very complicated shape at the top of the B post (hence the use of the hammer). Personally I think it would look better as original with just a piece of split leather stretched and glued over the curved arch. I suspect a lot of racing cars started out that way. No padding, just skived leather glued to the metal - you can see the outline of the rivet heads beneath it.
It would have been wheeled originally at AC, the Kirkham cars use a hammer forms to produce panels, hence the difference.
Martin
The main body of the arch would be wheeled, but you can't wheel sharp creases for the top section!
I stand corrected - there looks to be a much gentler curve to the top section which has been wheeled before hammering around the tubes.

Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

It would have been made in 2 sections as well, you can just see the weld line at the bottom.

Great photo Roger, are they from a book or online?, I could really do with some reference photos like that.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

They're from various Cobra books and the Dave Friedman archive. Worth having a look at Dave Friedman's Cobra - The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965, which has a few of these and other useful photos. There's also a diagram showing the separate Cobra body panels, inner and outer, although technically this is for a 427 according to the caption. Supposedly covers 1963-67.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thehenryf ... 410923333/

But best are the UK photos. These kind of pictures help to underline (for me, anyway) that these are British cars, made in England, not US. Rinsey Mills' Haynes Great Cars: AC Cobra has the most Thames Ditton construction photos that I've found so would be the most use.* It also has lots of detail of period and modern racing cars, which gives a great feel for what those with FIAs should really be doing to their cars. It seems a bit weird to me to build a racy FIA and stick carpets etc. in it, ending up as neither one thing nor the other!

*These photos are really useful for Kirkham builders wanting to get cable and pipe runs in the correct places. Also invaluable for detail such as positioning of the aluminium cable ties etc., even (with a bit of help from US experts) positioning of the brake pipe clips. Note - ALL 289s used the sprung 'vee' clip for hydraulic pipes which clip into a hole in the frame. These are exactly the same as period Austin Healey etc. - screwed 'P' clips were never used.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Sorry if you view having carpet in an FIA model as weird Roger but the problem is that the Hawk is made from fibreglass so it is better covered by carpet than left exposed. I don't have the expertise of Nige or yourself so I would have had to employ someone to line the entire cockpit in Ali to look more realistic but I was trying to keep the completed car as being built by me. I'm sure there are many thousands of people who wouldn't know the difference.
Of course the carpet does attempt to reduce the transmission noise by a few decibels.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

That's the beauty of these cars, Peter - they're all how we want them ourselves. If I find carpeted racing cars weird, that's entirely my problem!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Ah I didn't say my car is how I wanted it to be merely justifying my 'weird' choice of having it carpeted.
As stated previously I think the quality of our members cars increases year on year and if I were to build one now I would have a different view on what is needed and strive to accomplish a better finish than I currently have.
I do have a number of improvements planned but whether I can achieve them only time will tell.
Peter C
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I didn't think your car was without any carpet or trim Alan or is it?
I agree any car that is to be raced would be looking to shed all unnecessary weight but I have no intention of racing mine. So it looks like a standard road car inside and the carpets hide the fact that the car is a fibreglass replica.
As Roger says everyone aims to have their car to look as they want it.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Back to the original topic.
Nige what have you planned for the current build?
Are you prepared to divulge and make us salivate or do we have to wait for the pictures?
Peter C