Project Sanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Roger King

Re: Project Sanity

Post by Roger King »

Hey, those bonnet tubes look great. And the positioning of them - perfect - must have been absolute top-notch information you got there, from somebody or other
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Nige,
I see that you found someone to bend the bonnet tubing for you. Now to cut the fibreglass frame and set them in. The Ali inlets are obviously to copy the oil cooler inlet you manufactured for the Viper.
Keep the photos coming.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Surely you're making an aluminium skin?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Roger I think this is a bit of practise on the current build ready for the real deal scratch build. So the Hawk bonnet but cut back to look like All with a tubular frame. Owains car is going to be a half way house being a fibreglass Hawk but with numerous improvements. E.g. Better than the Viper.
Sorry if I have spilt the beans Nige.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:Hey, those bonnet tubes look great. And the positioning of them - perfect - must have been absolute top-notch information you got there, from somebody or other
Thanks Rog, I had a little chat with this "guru" guy that helped me immensely with "absolute top notch information" for the dimensions I needed. :wink:

Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:Surely you're making an aluminium skin?
Er, no, not on this one, this one's staying fibreglass
Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

peterc wrote:Roger I think this is a bit of practise on the current build ready for the real deal scratch build. So the Hawk bonnet but cut back to look like All with a tubular frame. Owains car is going to be a half way house being a fibreglass Hawk but with numerous improvements. E.g. Better than the Viper.
Sorry if I have spilt the beans Nige.
Peter C
Hi Peter, it's ok, you've not said anything out of place and you're absolutley correct. This is a bit of a practice run and yes, this car is a halfway house between your normal Hawk, if there is such a thing, and how the aluminium scratch built car will be. I want to try and show how, with a little time and effort, and not a lot of money, it's possible to make a Hawk look a little more individual whilst retaining the ethos of an original . Once finished this car will have loads of little "changes" going on, that hopefully will make it look a bit more like an original style race car.

The bonnet will be fibreglass, but I'm only using the outer skin. but it'll be made to replicate the look of an aluminium one, with the tube frame, a folded edge replicating the outer skin folded over on the inside and a totally smooth underside :wink: If people like it, then it's fairly straight forward to replicate :wink: I'm hoping this car will look waaaay better than my Viper, but I guess only time will tell :lol:

Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I thought you were going the 'Colin' route - Colin's old Hawk had aluminium doors, bonnet and bootlid, which gave it a very realistic feel.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:I thought you were going the 'Colin' route - Colin's old Hawk had aluminium doors, bonnet and bootlid, which gave it a very realistic feel.
I'm hoping it'll have that look and realistic feel, but at a fraction of the time, money and effort to do it all in aluminium :wink: Once its painted you shouldn't be able to tell if it's 'glass or ali anyway, and in a perverse way I find it a challenge to stretch the boundaries of what is the accepted norm and confuse peoples thoughts. :P, yeah, I know, I'm weird, I just like making things......

The aluminium "Insanity" comes next and I can't wait to get on with it. I already have the tubular bonnet frame dimensions :lol:
Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

A quick question, what exhaust silencers do people tend to use to pass the IVA noise test?
Nige