A bit of advice

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
bannyb
T289R Member
T289R Member

A bit of advice

Post by bannyb »

Hi I am new to the forum and not yet a 289 owner, I am considering building a hawk slab side 289 as close to original as possible, I fully understand build costs vary wildly but wondered if I have to accept the real joy is the build and not worry about re-sale values. Not being very flush with the folding stuff its just a guide to ROI so I can fund my next project.

I have been restoring TVR's for years (ex TVR mechanic) and know I can produce a quality car, any guidance would be well received.
Brian
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: A bit of advice

Post by clive »

Hi Brian, and welcome,

As you correctly state, prices do vary considerably depending on spec and quality you want to produce. Initially you should contact Gerry at Hawk cars to ascertain the price of chassis, body etc. then you need to decide on what engine, rear axle and suspension setup you want. You can opt for the Ford 289/302 engine with the Jaguar rear axle, Rover MG rear axle, uprated front suspension or any combination. My car, which I built in 2005/6 has the Ford/ Jag set up and uprated front suspension, cost in the region of £26k to build and paint, but I fear prices have increased somewhat since then, but so have resale values. A well sorted Hawk 289 Slabside with Ford engine is now fetching in the region of £40k - £45k and Rover powered ones around £35k - £40k.

Take your time deciding what option you choose and perhaps visit Gerry or even the National Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh and talk to him.

If you do decide to go down the originality route then you need to look at Roger King's posts on this forum, but I don''t think you will get any change out of +£100k.

Good luck.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum.

The very first thing I would recommend is to join the club if you haven't already done so.

Originality does seem to be one of if not the most important factor in determining the resale value, so you're wise to take that route.

If you join the club, we will have an excellent selection of members' cars on display at the Silverstone Classic in July and we'll also be hosting a barbecue over the Le Mans 24 Hours race weekend in June where we'll also have a good selection of cars in attendance.

When it comes to originality, you would be extremely hard pressed to improve on Roger King's Kirkham 289, but if the folding stuff is in short supply, you're unlikely to get anywhere close. That isn't to say that you couldn't build a really nice car with plenty of original details.

Paul
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi there,
Any savings that you plan to make would comprimise originality. Originality is what costs money.
The cheapest option would be MGB front and back, Rover V8 and a rebuilt LT77. Best supplier I have seen is JRV8 in Ballymena.
Check out the build blogs on the main page for inspiration. Under building a 289.
Engines are an expensive swap after the event so it is prudent to get what you want first time around.
If you were very careful you may be able to get a nice car through IVA without paint etc for low to mid 20's but you will have to be disciplined and not buy anything twice. To finish a nice car you are looking upper 20's min to mid 30's. In fibreglass.
As a word of warning, I don't know anyone who has swapped a Rover for a Ford engine, but a fair few have gone the other way.
Good luck and ask away if there are any questions.

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

catsx11 wrote:
StewbieC wrote:..I don't know anyone who has swapped a Rover for a Ford engine, but a fair few have gone the other way...
:shock: We know what you meant :wink: , hopefully the OP knew as well but,
just to clarify things, I fixed it for you...
StewbieC wrote: ...I don't know anyone who has swapped a Ford for a Rover engine, but a fair few have gone the other way...
Thanks Alan
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by bannyb »

Gents, thank you for the replies, I am visiting hawk cars very soon and will be at stoneleigh where hopefully I will meet several members, your opinions and guidance are most welcome. Brian.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Brian,

I may be wrong, but I don't think many members go to Stoneleigh these days.

Paul