Fuel filler

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Marsh

Fuel filler

Post by Marsh »

Dear all,

I need a little advice regarding how you secure the fuel filler neck on a standard 289 (one for you Roger, I'm thinking).

I'm seriously considering 'back dating' my current recessed filler on my (non 289) car back to the traditional 'street' arrangement of the Ceeandess flip top filler cap. It will require some modifications to the body, but was we're currently in bare aluminium, now would be the time to do it, before the paint goes on.

Now, given the rarity of street configuration 427's in the UK, Mr Brookes and would appreciate a steer on the original 289 type filler and how the neck is secured to the body, as I suspect they're pretty similar for later 427 type cars too.

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Re: Fuel filler

Post by Roger King »

I can only speak for showroom 289 Cobras - I know nothing of 427s, and I think (but not sure) the filler cap is out on the wing of the 427 whereas it is in the centre of the rear scuttle on the 289. Street 427s, and AC 289s, certainly did have the 'keyhole button' style filler cap, as fitted to earlier street Cobras, however, wherever it was positioned.
So, speaking only for the 289 with the filler cap in the middle of the rear deck - actual fixing depends on how accurate you want to be. As far as I am aware, original Cobras had the filler cap actually threaded onto an extension of the fuel tank. As you can imagine, this makes removal and installation of either the tank or the filler a complete nightmare and many original cars have been converted to a more conventional rubber hose connecting the filler cap to the fuel tank, hence my uncertainty if they were all built like this or not originally.
I've no idea what the tank arrangement and filler tube would be on a 427 with rear wing-mounted filler cap. The reproduction filler cap, which Gerry sells and which is a huge improvement on the original pot-metal offering, has (I think) the option of both threaded or rubber-hose-with-clamp. If I were fitting one of these to a 427 - and I believe passionately that you, Lee, should - I would position the tank filler tube in the correct position inside the boot, make the hole, and use the hose-type filler cap with a rubber connecting hose. Connecting hose is cut-down TR6, and the grommet for the filler cap tube where it passes through the body is also TR6. Gerry can supply these with the filler cap, I think. As said, I think this is much simpler and a reasonable method of connection as a lot of original 289s now have this arrangement. Tip for Dave - make the hole in the wing (or patch and recut the hole in the wing) to match the rubber grommet - but I'm quite sure he will have worked that out himself!
To answer your question more directly, the filler cap and tube is not secured to the body. It is secured to the filler pipe on the top of the fuel tank. It merely passes through a hole in the ali skin.
Although there are several shots of a red street 427 with this filler cap in Rinsey Mills' book, none show the fixings inside the boot, unfortunately.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Thanks Roger - I was not disappointed in your comprehensive reply and that was most helpful.

I'll talk to Dave as I too am keen that subject to sensible cost, we do this properly and 'street' is the way right forward in my eyes.

L
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I wouldn't expect it to cost much bodywise at the moment. The fuel tank may be a different matter, although (without knowing the car) I'd have thought it was simply (ha - love that word) a question of using a filler tube on the tank that is the same diameter as the one the filler cap comes with, then just the rubber hose to connect them together.
However, to modify after paint you would be looking at the same costs plus the cost of a lot of paint repair. My car is plain black, clear over base, and simply removing the incorrect 'Powered by Ford' badges (4 holes, 1/8" each) cost me a four-figure sum. There is nowhere to blend back to on these cars due to the body construction, so if the paintwork is being repaired properly on a dark car, it means a new clearcoat all over. I guess you might get away with blending to the back of the sill for the rear bodywork, but you don't want differential fading etc. as the paint gets older.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

I feel your pain, Roger.

If I'm going to do it, I'd rather do it now.

Momentum is gathering nicely in terms of what Dave refers to as 'tinsel'.

He builds the tree and I supply the decorations.

All we need is an engine; well two actually, as I think Dale might need one too...

L
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Aha - engine and drivetrain. Finding the right dating and casting codes for a 427 side oiler is going to be a serious challenge, along with the right heads, intake etc. It was painful enough for the relatively more common 289 Hipo.
Now the real detective work begins. I don't know if there's an authority publication on FEs, but Bob Mannel's book on SBFs was invaluable for tracking down the correct carburettor, distributor, alternator and bracketry, etc. etc.
Get your cheque book ready and warmed up!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

He's copped out on that one Roger and gone for a new aluminium block 427. :wink:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

speechless.
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

Roger King wrote:speechless.
HA HA HA. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marsh

Post by Marsh »