General Cobra & Ace topics
Roger King

Re: Another 427

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:
Tapped wrote:If this flipping weather sodded off it could come home
Hi Paul,

They don't dissolve you know. ;)

They don't mind getting a bit (or a lot) wet. Just wrap up warm and dry and you'll be fine.

Paul
They do dissolve - I've seen it!
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Tapped wrote:In wet weather no, but it's not going near salt on my watch! :shock:
But if only a little bit of it dissolved, then you'd have a 427 'lightweight' and it would be worth much more money when you came to sell it.

AC didn't have any problems getting more for lightweights in the 1990's :wink:

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Unfortunately the little bit that does dissolve is the aluminium wrapped around the sill steel tubing. So you can get cracks in the weakened ali, and the front wing can sort of flap around a bit. Definitely lighter weight, though, yes.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Roger King wrote:Unfortunately the little bit that does dissolve is the aluminium wrapped around the sill steel tubing. So you can get cracks in the weakened ali, and the front wing can sort of flap around a bit. Definitely lighter weight, though, yes.
Spoilsport Roger!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Tapped wrote:In wet weather no, but it's not going near salt on my watch! :shock:
Agreed, salt is a definite no-no.

Mine's been thoroughly soaked on countless occasions, but as soon as the roads get salted, it stays tucked up in the garage.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

With an aluminium car, it is a very good idea to check the sills where the skin wraps around the tubes on a regular basis. AC and Kirkham simply wrap the aluminium around the steel and rivet it - even Astons used to get a thin layer of waxed cotton here (but that could arguably make it worse, I guess), but nothing for 'our' cars. Water, unless pure (which rainwater and road spray is not), is a conductor, so there will be an electrolytic reaction here if it gets damp. Obviously salt will increase this massively. It's well worth ensuring something is in that very fine gap to reduce this effect - either a high quality cavity wax (e.g. Dinitrol High Performance clear), or an anti-corrosive such as ACF-50 (or better, ACF-50 Corrosion Block). ACF-50 needs frequent application as it doesn't last very long, and ideally a spray gun and pit or lift. This area isn't even painted, but gets any spray from the front wheel chucked at it.
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Just been chatting to Sue at Southern Automotive. Staring my engine build sometime this week ,,,, should be ready for shipping mid march :D
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

And it's all systems go at Marshall Towers now that my E Type has finally sold.

So come on Dave, get Dale's car out of the way and don't be getting distracted with any other project that might be lurking in the dark recesses of that workshop - we've got ourselves a car to finish! :wink:

Lee
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Dear all,

I went over to Talke today to check on progress on my car (and indeed Dale's) as I have so far successfully resisted the habit of a lifetime to stalk Dave on a weekly basis.

The car is now on its correct narrow wheels and I have to say that whilst not everyone will appreciate the stance of a 'street' car, I'm absolutely delighted with how it's shaping up. The relationship of wheels and tyres to wheel arches is a very delicate thing on a Cobra, original or otherwise; especially on wide bodied cars, so I'm happy to report that the period correct look appears to have been achieved so far.

As of today, the car is still pretty much a bare but rolling shell that's awaiting a gearbox (now sourced) and an engine (eagerly awaited). We're still in healthy discussion about the location of the fuel filler and I'm erring on reversing the current SC type rear wing cutout and reverting to the more accurate Ceeandess type (fyi Roger), assuming we can find a safe and practical solution to mounting the filler neck, which Dave is working on (no pressure, Dave).

My role in this overall process appears to be sourcing what Dave refers to as 'the tinsel', while Mr Brookes 'puts up the tree' and I'm more than happy with this arrangement, though the ever growing pile of shiny stuff in my study is beginning to resemble a magpie's nest...

Once the engine is in progress (and more specifically, landed here in the UK), we can really start to gather momentum, though that may be some while yet, pending news from Southern Automotive. The exhausts will be correct for a street specification car, mounted 'underslung', which has provided Dave with much food for thought on how to correctly route them and suitable modifications have been made to ensure a factory fit, though we now have the potential excitement of excess cockpit heat to consider.

After much deliberation, I'm having the car painted by Richard Hodson, who completed my previous car so beautifully and he's assured me of an AC factory finish - i.e. not too perfect . I have now arrived at a definitive colour, after far too much deliberation - more news to follow on this soon...

I'd initially and perhaps optimistically hoped to have the car road ready for the summer BBQ, but in reality that's highly unlikely, unless Mr Shelby shines down on me from above or indeed up from below (either of which is rather unlikely, given the not entirely Thames Ditton origin of my car), but all the best things are worth waiting for and so far, the car is exceeding my expectations.

I can't wait to share it with you as it really will be a rather unusual Cobra when it's done. I'll resist the urge to share any photo's as yet, until the car is good to go. More updates coming soon...

Lee
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.