Smiths tachometer for sale

For Sale and Wanted Section
Roger King

Smiths tachometer for sale

Post by Roger King »

I have a new, unused CAI Cobra electronic tachometer for sale with all fittings. This was a special order instrument from CAI, with a custom-fitted red jewel lens at the bottom of the dial with an LED fitted to serve as a high-beam warning light, as in original 289 Cobras. This has two fly-leads exiting the case, and no legend on the dial (as original). This means that the red warning light could be used for something else if desired.
It's in as new boxed condition as it was my spare in case of failure, never needed. The original plug is included, which has bullet connectors soldered to the leads for ease of installation.
Asking £125 inc. p&p, which is a significant saving on what it cost me!

Roger

catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Re: Smiths tachometer for sale

Post by Roger King »

Might have a speedo as well if you're interested, just let me know.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Mechanical, yes, with trip. Presumably your gearbox would drive it? I know nothing at all about modern electronic speedometers.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Yes, LT77 speedo drive directly under the gear lever remote.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Alan
I cannot state you will have this problem as it depends upon the geometry of your dashboard, I can only say that I did. I followed Rogers example and had my tachometer fitted with the high beam light but when it came to refitting it the light socket and connection on the back were just foul of the Hawk cross beam to the extent that the unit would not seat at all. As a temporary expedient I ran the unit slightly revolved such that the light fittings were above the beam. This winter I removed the dash and as part of a rework cut a recess in the beam, not sufficient to trouble its structural integrity but enough to accept the light fitting and the two small wires. If you are expecting to simply remove your current tachometer and slide in the new there is a chance that it won't. That said the fix is not difficult with the dash out and once completed the effect is a very nice detail.
Regards
Peter
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Not an issue with my instrument, Peter - the added indicator light is an internal LED, with just two wires coming out of a flat rubber grommet on the back of the tacho. There's no bulbholder to foul anything. The dimensions are exactly the same as the standard CAI instrument, with a couple of mm of rubber protruding.

PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Hi Roger, OK then no problem and all the better for it. Mine came back with a plug assembly which caused the above.
Regards
Peter