T289R Committee

Re: Aceca barn find on eBay

Post by John H »

Wow what a spec and history....
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It has potential. However, original engine and 'box lost, must have been cut about a fair bit for Jag mechanicals. Also love the idea of aluminium body meaning minimal corrosion. Starting to look a bit expensive in my view as it approaches 40k with 12 days to go. The classic world is currently suffering badly with 'barn find' disease, and this may be another case.
Would you care that much about free road tax, with a £100k restoration staring you in the face?
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Dad remembers racing against a Jag-engined Aceca in his Ace, around '62-4, so presumably this is it? It was by his recollection 'pretty handy', but boy, has it had a hard life since!
Despite knowing the name of the driver, and the chassis number, unlike the seller's suggestion that its history is easily found online, I have drawn a total blank... ME! AC super-sleuth! Shocker!
It had 12 hours to go when you saw it, Roger, and sold for £40,100 which is probably reasonable if it is relatively sound, although returning it to 'day 1' spec rather than it's present race setup could well be significantly north of £100k!
£250,000 , heading for half a mil? Even if it had ACTUAL Millé History, I think that is somewhat optimistic!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Having seen typical Acecas under restoration, I don't think there's any such thing as 'reasonably sound', unfortunately. There will be a lot of steel and ali (and indeed timber) work to do on that, not for the faint-hearted - or poor. Not sure I'd be a huge fan of the AC engine either, I think Bristol or Ford would be more desirable. But I speak of things I know little about, so time to shut up.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

slightly more expensive but already washed and polished..
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C858032
Finally sorted Dax 'AC 289' after 4 years in the wilderness.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Fireball wrote:slightly more expensive but already washed and polished..
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C858032
Utterly lovely. Very, very tempted.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

catsx11 wrote:If only that garage was read Roger, huh?
...and the piggy bank was bigger.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

nikbj68 wrote:Dad remembers racing against a Jag-engined Aceca in his Ace, around '62-4, so presumably this is it? It was by his recollection 'pretty handy', but boy, has it had a hard life since!
Despite knowing the name of the driver, and the chassis number, unlike the seller's suggestion that its history is easily found online, I have drawn a total blank... ME! AC super-sleuth! Shocker!
It had 12 hours to go when you saw it, Roger, and sold for £40,100 which is probably reasonable if it is relatively sound, although returning it to 'day 1' spec rather than it's present race setup could well be significantly north of £100k!
£250,000 , heading for half a mil? Even if it had ACTUAL Millé History, I think that is somewhat optimistic!
An ignorant question, but a genuine one: where is the major cost of £100k+ get swallowed up - is that the cost of re-shelling the car, or are there other rare high cost items as well?