Hawk 289 for sale..reluctantly

For Sale and Wanted Section
bigant

Hawk 289 for sale..reluctantly

Post by bigant »

Very reluctantly looking to sell my car as I just do not get the time to drive it…and that’s a waste!

Originally built by a previous T289R newsletter editor in conjunction with Talon Engineering who registered it in 2011 – some build photos are actually still available online (link available on PM if you haven’t already worked it out). It was then only really completed in 2013/14. I bought the car 3 years ago from a very nice chap Phil on this forum who had completed a number of improvements (all this is available to view on the forum still). Since I bought it I have had the car painted (Aston DBR9 BRG), had a few mechanical things tidied up and replaced, added a tonneau cover and a few other finishing touches. I have to admit I've been a forum and T289R member voyeur for the last couple of years (not sure I should admit that). i.e. lots of watching and learning, but not much contributing.

It’s a Rover 3.5 Vitesse V8 with Edelbrock inlet manifold and Holley carb, LT77 5 speed box, and MGB suspension bits, correct 289 dash with Smiths gauges, cobra bucket seats, Hawk carpet set, wooden Motalita steering wheel, silver/grey (painted not chrome) spin on wire wheels and Pirelli tyres, new tonneau cover. No hood or heater.

The car has done a miserly 1,400 miles and has just been MOTd

It’s registered as a Hawk and is not tax exempt.

I’ve added a couple of pictures taken on my phone this year, but will take more early next week when I have more time. Hope the link works.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157312780 ... 288049886/

Difficult to gauge the right price for this – obviously cars online at £40k that are not selling, but think its probably worth somewhere in the region of £35k +/-? That’s ideally what I’d like for it. Be interested in anyone’s comments or feedback (not rude please ;-) before I put it out there.

Thanks
Ant
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hawk 289 for sale..reluctantly

Post by nikbj68 »

I certainly wouldn't want to see your car go for less than £35k, if it had Jag rear, hood and heater maybe a lot closer to that £40k figure.
Looks very very nice, shame you aren't able to use it as you wish.
N.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I'd try it at 35k, looks like a nice motor.

Post by bigant »

Thanks for comments. It really is a lovely car and ought to be out there being driven more.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Difficult to gauge prices in the cobra replica market sometimes. (This is not Hawk specific)
I know of a Ram, for sale privately for many months at 26K that eventually sold to a dealer for 22K it was a top spec boss 302 engined car, not a Rover lump. A couple of weeks later the dealer sold it for 38K! It makes no sense to me.
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Dealer usually sell better (even though they're more money) because they can offer p/X & finance ... and sometimes warranty
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

At the end of the day it is luck to find the right buyer at the right time. I agree with Nik that it shouldn't go for less than £35k being virtually brand new. It would now cost someone more than that to start from scratch and build themselves. Try £37 and be prepared to drop to £35.
Peter C
genneton4

Post by genneton4 »

Hi, very interested in your car. Is it still for sale please ? If so, where are based.

Thanks

Keith Ash - Nottingham
bigant

Post by bigant »

Hi Keith

Have sent you a PM

Thanks Ant
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Lovely looking 289. If it helps I was offered 45K for my car recently, which has a similar specification.
Good luck with your sale.

Bill