Hawk 289 for sale

For Sale and Wanted Section
genneton4

Hawk 289 for sale

Post by genneton4 »

Hawk 289, super authentic looking Rover Vitesse/MGB Hawk 289 slabside in Aston Martin DBR9 racing green.

Yes, it is the one in the forum earlier from July.

Bought this car last month but can't get it to fit me. I have looked and wanted a Hawk 289 for approx 15 years now. I did look at a really nice black one Doncaster way in 2013 but couldn't buy it because I couldn't operate the clutch properly with my knee fouling the ignition switch. I think I have abnormally long thigh bones.

This car was slightly better fit and I thought I could ride through it. But I can't, it's not comfortable (or safe).

Vitesse 3.5 engine, Edlebrock inlet, holley carb and rebuilt LT77 gearbox. Immaculate recent paint.

No hood, brand new Hawk tonneau, registered as a Hawk. Built and registered 2011 in conjunction with Talon. All the nice bits then retrofitted post IVA.

Has had top windscreen mirror and side screen overtaking fitted since photos.

I felt very fortunate to have found this car.

1400 miles MOT July. £35K

Can mail pics.

Keith
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hawk 289 for sale

Post by peterc »

Keith,
Sorry that you can't get comfortable and enjoy the 289.
The price looks OK and its good that's it is correctly registered as a Hawk. In view of the recent firming up of regulations surrounding our cars I think it would help you sell it by confirming that sufficient parts are still fitted to get the 8 points. The 8 points are required to avoid it being retrospectively re classed as needing a test and a Q plate.
I believe any switched on buyer would want this issue resolved before a purchase.
Peterc C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Sorry guys, but this 8 points marlarkey is utter tripe, ask yourselves "what is a standard Hawk 289 and what isn't? Where is it recorded what was fitted at the point of registration other than the engine number and chassis number? The sooner we stop worrying people about this, the better!

Post by 289jlc »

I think I have missed something, what is the 8 point comment referring to?

Thanks Lee
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Don't scare the chap, Peter! IVA & correct registration as Hawk means no problems, if it was registered as an MG or Jag there could be an issue.
Keith, could you not get the footbox/pedal setup altered to suit your longer limbage? Is the seat on runners? Could you set it any further back? It's possible to raise the lower edge of the dash too...
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The 8-point assessment relates to classic cars registered as historics. These are not classics, they are kit cars. If they have passed SVA/IVA, they are legal.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

289jlc wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:13 pm I think I have missed something, what is the 8 point comment referring to?

Thanks Lee
Morning Lee, just to confirm it is nothing to worry about. If buying a Hawk fully built and registered just check the V5 says Hawk 289 or Hawk FIA or Hawk Cobra or something similar. Usual checks then, numbers match engine number matches etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

Post by 289jlc »

Cheers Stu, Roger, not far off IVA and it got me panicking, Lee
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Now your panicking is over, what do you think about modifying to suit yourself?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
289jlc

Post by 289jlc »

My view is, once you buy a mainstream car new/2nd hand it's your choice if you subtly modify small items or choose to go all out modifications on engines wheels etc.

I have the same view with my kit, yes I build it to a manufacturers spec but they are trying to build for everyone yet you are personalising it for you. I understand personal choices some do after the IVA but my thoughts are we are trying to put a 1960's built car through a 2017 test but we want something as close to an original as possible.

How many people have built a cobra, learned from it and gone on to build a 2nd one incorporating the changes they wanted to do on the first build?

With that it falls into the first statement, people have been doing it for years, it maintains the aftermarket businesses and always tell your insurance.

If the modifications are in line with what you want from your car or build its your choice, if the modifisations are that wild they detract away from what you started out with, it simply falls into the HOTROD category!

Everyone to their own. Lee