289 Alloy

Post by Migge »

Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: 289 Alloy

Post by peterc »

I am amazed that they can openly admit that the chassis and body work has been changed yet they say the car is retaining the Aceca identity. An Aceca didn’t have a 289 engine and I’m sure significant number of other parts have never been near an Aceca.
It’s a bit expensive for a clone albeit an Ali one.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

As far as I understand:

Sam started with an AC Aceca chassis – the identity it retains today, giving it period AC road registration– and built a correct Cobra chassis.
Special customized BRA289
Britishracingreen

Post by Britishracingreen »

Pretty sure that’s illegal?
A car can have a body change as long as it retains the original chassis, a change in body AND chassis is surely a whole new car (according to the DVLA)
Trying to “retain” the registration number from a different car is fraudulent ( well, it is in my understanding of the law in relation to motor vehicles in the UK anyway) or am I missing something?
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

COB 6036, is well documented as a total rebuild, new body & chassis & has a replica that used the damaged chassis
Britishracingreen

Lots of cars have had new chassis, and as far as I’m aware, the DVLA are happy to sanction it as long as it is a replacement for the original. I’m sure there are hoops the owner has to jump through to guarantee it’s “replication”
Swapping a body is one thing, swapping to a completely different chassis is something else entirely!
Sadly this sort of thing is doing nothing for these cars and you can bet that at some time in the future will be used by the authorities as an excuse for “tightening up” the regulations once more. I for one wouldn’t be putting details about it out on the internet for all to see if you get my drift!
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

My understanding is the ladder frame & suspension of the Aceca was the same as a 289, I could be wrong tho
Britishracingreen

Hmmmmm, seems to be a bit of a grey area. He seems to state in the advert that he started with an acceca chassis and built a Correct Cobra chassis. The DVLA seems to frown on major chassis mods (ie SWB beach buggies) and insists in IVA tests. Has the new chassis been OK’d by the DVLA? Could be a nasty shock for the new owner down the line. Don’t think I’d risk it!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

What the ad is clumsily trying to say is that Sam Smart had to remove the parts of the Aceca chassis that are not required on a Cobra(like the roof!), not that he made a new chassis!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Britishracingreen

If that’s the case, the advert should DEFINITELY be Made clearer before it attracts unwanted attention!