BRA 289 in the Netherlands

Post by Migge »

Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: BRA 289 in the Netherlands

Post by peterc »

Interesting to see that the door cill is not straight as a normal BRA but has the Cobra curve which I thought was introduced by Gerry at Hawk cars.
Price is competitive.
A good buy for someone if it is reasonably well built.
Peter C
brookewebb

Post by brookewebb »

How easy would this be to reregister for the UK?
Migge

Post by Migge »

I have laminated my sills "away" and curved the bottom edge too. I think that was done with this BRA also.

I have no idea with the registration in the UK. Best is to contact the dealer for details and then ask your local station.
Special customized BRA289
Karl

Post by Karl »

I am very sure that the car is coming from the UK. In the text the dealer is stating that the price will include dutch registration.
Interesting place to put an oil radiator.
Karl
David Large

Post by David Large »

If it is originally a BRA body shell then it is serously modified a la Migge. There is no hood scoop, the cills are changed, the tops of the doors are different, the edge of the body moulding around the cockpit is modified too. A look at the chassis would be interesting.

I bought a Porsche at an auction a couple of years ago.It had been sent from Japan to the auction and had been stripped of its Japanese registration when it left the country. Registering it in the UK was very easy.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Details based on the regn plate it is wearing show -
Last tax due 01 May 2008.
No history of MOT history online [which is available from 2005]

If interested then why not ring the dealer to ascertain whether it still has its UK V5..
DavidA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidA »

All a bit of a mystery.Why is a RHD apparently UK registered car being sold in the Netherlands. I think it is a modified Mk1 BRA (mine was the 2nd mk2)- the overrider brackets tend to give it away notwithstanding quite a few modifications particularly the sills, doors and later type transmission tunnel. With over 50,000 miles on the clock it obviously hasn't been in a plastic bag all its life.
Attempts to make it look more in keeping clash with obvious non standard features like veneer dash, ridiculous rear ride height and strange under bonnet arrangement.
However back in the late 80's getting a project working properly was the priority rather than originality - inevitably this involved a bit of compromise using a wide variety of parts and help from mates. I remember my neighbour who was a French Polisher offering to make me a wooden dash!
Best Wishes DavidA
David Large

Post by David Large »

It is not (in my opinion) a Mk 1 BRA 289 which mine is. The engine is further back in the car in the BRA 289 Mk2 position and the footboxes are not "joined" by the bulkhead that exists in the Mk1 BRAs. The battery clearly sits down beneath the bulkhead level and between the footboxes.
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
DavidA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidA »

David .You are right - the position of the battery threw me. I thought it was on the flat shelf in front of the bulkhead which is found on Mk1s - in fact it is supported on a tray cantilevered from the vertical mk2 firewall .
The square section BRA chassis is visible in the same picture.
I like the oil container box next to the battery - how often does it need to be topped up !
DavidA