Consultation on changing emissions standards for kit cars

General Cobra & Ace topics
Samthomasracing

Re: Consultation on changing emissions standards for kit cars

Post by Samthomasracing »

So I’m being really thick, before writing my letter to a man in an office... Will this affect any replica or only replicas registered after March 2018...??
When racing was dangerous and sex was safe....
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

No, mate, you’re not being at all thick.
Read in isolation, point 4.11 appears to refer to Kitcars in general, but following the statement of 4.10, it then reads as vehicles presented after July 2018.
Thanks for adding your support, every single response is vital!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

db replicas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:34 pm Or in other words....
A Golf 1.4TSI life carbon figures over 12 years and 100,000miles comes to around 35 tonnes of carbon.
A 15mpg Cobra over 12 years and 18,000 miles (1500 pa) comes to around 14 tonnes.
That sounds like a lot of carbon!!!

At 15mpg, over 12 years @ 1500pa(18,000 Miles) the Cobra would use 1,200 gallons of petrol.
That’s 5,500 litres, which equates to around 4.1 tonnes of liquid, so how does that create over 3 times it’s original weight in bi-product?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Sam,
It appears I have just lost my reply, but basically yes it only applies to cars after July but it will decimate the kit/ replica car industry.
We have members who are mid build who couldn’t possibly modify their engine to meet 2018 emissions by July if ever.
Yes we must fight this.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I have cheekily used Stu's car on our Twitter and Facebook pages to raise awareness. If anyone is on these services and can share these links, it would be most appreciated.

https://twitter.com/289Register/status/ ... 7446165504

https://www.facebook.com/T289R/posts/1456313854494920

emissions-campaign2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I believe that Nige has already contacted Kev Davies - membership secretary of the UK Cobra Club and I have contacted the local Cobra rep for Hants/ West Sussex.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I said a while back that I had made a freedom of information request about numbers of kit cars. Here is the response I received - as you can see, quite few in number and this includes vehicles that are classes C and S as well.
1. How many cars have been through the IVA test and are registered as 'amateur-built'. Please give the total, and the number per annum for the last 5 years.

DVSA do not keep registration statistics or data on Amateur Built Vehicles in isolation in respect of IVA tests. The numbers of IVA tests conducted are collected as a combination of Amateur Built (Class A) vehicles built from a registered vehicle (Class C) and Rebuilt Vehicles (Class S) as defined in the Road Vehicles (Approval) Regulations. The combined figure for the requested dates is as follows:

2013 – 391
2014 – 317
2015 – 336
2016 – 431
2017 – 381
I also asked how many cars use a donor engine, how many are petrol powered and how many are diesel powered (since the consultation focusses on emissions from diesel mainly). They were unable to answer these questions for the reasons above - I guess they just don't keep the data.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I guess anyone not yet replied to DFT could add these figures to prove that changing the emissions on a few hundred cars is not going to change the environment when there are a few million other cars being registered and used every day.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Peter, by the same token, by saying that this would only affect a few hundred kit cars could also go against us. They could determine that its such a small inconsequential number that it would be easier to eradicate the kit cars first as last, rather than trying to appease an extremely small minority

We all need to remember that this isnt just about kit cars but ALL modified vehicles, currently being built and for ALL future "alternative" vehicles 😉
Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, I take your point.
Peter C