289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: 289 build

Post by clive »

Re the height issue, can you not set the suspension to its highest setting? Also re the screen, why not leave it off completely?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks all - yes, the list isn't too long. Speedo is the tricky one - just waiting for a call back from Speedograph Richfield to check they got my numbers right. We had to roll the car along for 6 wheel rotations and then tell them how many times the drive cable rotated - it could be that we mis-measured and gave them the wrong numbers.

The tester told me just to remove the screen actually Peter, so it will be out with the flying goggles next time!

Regarding the fog lights, I think it will have to be a case of making a hole in the bodywork and bolting them through that. There are low-profile LED ones that are E-marked and F-marked, but not really sure they'll look right, and they're quite pricey.

Simon - yes, that's right - just the fail points. Should make the next visit a bit shorter. The test took 3 hours first time around. The chap was very pragmatic and has already provided email advice on the kind of collapsible steering wheel boss that I need to fit.

Still, driving the car round the DVSA car park was totally superb! I've never driven one before and it felt much better than I had expected to be honest.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Andy,
It might be an idea to publicise the collapsible boss suggestion as nearly all Hawk builders have the same solid column to attach to and the VW indicator switch and a couple have their IVA tests looming. There's a collapsible element on Europas site for 25 quid but would need to be fettled and might require an adaptor plate or two. It could bolt between the boss and steering wheel.
Shame the fog lights failed, I did leave a comment to advise that I thought they may be on the limit! Mine had a painted blacked out section at the bottom which is perfectly legal (as they came like that 8) ), removable tape isn't legal.http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/rear-reversing-lights/ these are cheap enough.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

StewbieC wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:39 pm Hi Andy,
It might be an idea to publicise the collapsible boss suggestion as nearly all Hawk builders have the same solid column to attach to and the VW indicator switch and a couple have their IVA tests looming. There's a collapsible element on Europas site for 25 quid but would need to be fettled and might require an adaptor plate or two. It could bolt between the boss and steering wheel.
Shame the fog lights failed, I did leave a comment to advise that I thought they may be on the limit! Mine had a painted blacked out section at the bottom which is perfectly legal (as they came like that 8) ), removable tape isn't legal.http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/rear-reversing-lights/ these are cheap enough.
Thanks Stu - I will put something in the magazine maybe about the steering. Unfortunately I splurged £60 quid on a collapsible boss already!

I saw your comment on the lights - they measured ok, but that was before I put 50 litres of petrol in the thing of course... Now I need to fabricate a bracket or find some that are maximum 30mm high. (Or burn off some fuel maybe!).
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Any use?
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Simon - thanks for this. A few questions though - sorry if these are a bit dim:

- What do the six bolts go into in the top image?
- Does the concertina bit have the 48-spline hole into which the top of the MGB shaft goes?
- If you remove the rubber centre from the middle of the wheel in the lower picture, presumably thats where you fit the top nut and shakeproof washer?

On my current wheel (which has no collapsible element), I just put it on the shaft splines, pop the centre bit out and apply a nut and washer.

Cheers!

Andy
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Simon - I think I've just realised how this works. What you show in your images just bolts on to the front of my 6-hole Motolita boss that I got from Gerry. The splines will be in the Motolita part, and the bit you are showing in the photos is just a collapsible element between the boss and the steering wheel itself.

(In other news, I received my Momo steering boss today and it is not right for this application. It has the right splines etc. but has some other sticky-out bits that mean it won't fit safely against the VW indicator unit. So I'll have to return that unfortunately).

Cheers,
Andy
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Will get it off to you shortly
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks!
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John H »

amulheirn wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:34 pm Thanks all - yes, the list isn't too long. Speedo is the tricky one - just waiting for a call back from Speedograph Richfield to check they got my numbers right. We had to roll the car along for 6 wheel rotations and then tell them how many times the drive cable rotated - it could be that we mis-measured and gave them the wrong numbers.

The tester told me just to remove the screen actually Peter, so it will be out with the flying goggles next time!

Regarding the fog lights, I think it will have to be a case of making a hole in the bodywork and bolting them through that. There are low-profile LED ones that are E-marked and F-marked, but not really sure they'll look right, and they're quite pricey.

Simon - yes, that's right - just the fail points. Should make the next visit a bit shorter. The test took 3 hours first time around. The chap was very pragmatic and has already provided email advice on the kind of collapsible steering wheel boss that I need to fit.

Still, driving the car round the DVSA car park was totally superb! I've never driven one before and it felt much better than I had expected to be honest.
HI Andy, just imagine how you will feel hitting the first motorway and she is steady as a rock at 70+...it felt amazing to me last year! Good luck cheers John
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!