Well I said I would.............

289, FIA & Daytona topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Well I said I would.............

Post by amulheirn »

Sorry to hear that Kevin! VIN plate is supposed to only have the manufacturer's name and VIN on it, as far as I know, set inside a rectangle. I had these put on the reverse of an old VIN plate from Hawk, and masked/sprayed the black border on the plate myself.

Can you attach photos of your seatbelt issue? Mine are standard Hawk ones and passed ok.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Is the top seatbelt mount not measured from the seat cushion? Can you not somehow lower the seat by fitting it without runners or thinner ones?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Clive - seat belt mount height is fine.
The problem is the triangulation of the bracket that forms a tower in the boot from which the top seat belt anchorages are attached. I'll see if I can find a pic.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

This is how mine are fitted.

Cheers, Clive.

KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

thanks - second photo is very useful. Do I assume then that there are triangulating straps adjacent both rear inner wings that bolt to structural chassis members? Is that about 15 cm back? IVA inspector would not comment about how far back the triangulation has top go, other than 5cm was insufficient.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Kev,
Sorry to hear of your failure.
Those straps are about a foot long so they extend back around 8-10 inches. The top have bosses and bolts pass through that fasten to the reverse of the frame in Clive's picture. The bottom bolt through the floor of the boot to the chassis frame that supports the boot. Surely Anthony (Chimera) would be able to advise what's needed for the Crendons on t'other forum?
Hth
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

The first para of page 2 of Section 5.9 explains how to fit the brace bar.

Cheers, Clive.

KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks Clive - very useful.

Stu - I have had a discussion with Anthony about this. I am chassis 49, so there are about 48 others before me that have all passed (ignoring the few in build still) under John Kerr's ownership with the current piece of hefty heavy duty box section that forms the seat belt turret. These have all passed without issue at various IVA stations up and down the country without a problem, including 2 recently at Exeter. I don't think it is a risk, but if it is, then I'll fix it, and if not, then I don't see why I should have to yield to redundant bureaucracy. The above information is very useful if remedial work is needed - I was particularly interested to see if there was any triangulation on the Hawk, which there clearly is. I think a conversation with Mark Vickers may be needed to decide on a way forward; we'll see.
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Dear All,

I have come a little late to this party on seat discussion and as i am in Italy, after two glasses of something very yummy and I do not have the IVA in front of me you may want to take this answer with a pinch of something. I have a couple of fabricated upper seat belt mounts that raise the level of the seat belt mounting by about 3 inches (that's about 75mm to Roger). In addition the seats that i am using have the seat belt guides in the top inside corner - courtesy of Stu who told me to change the seats over to comply with European legislation.

Now, I need your help, I need to raise the front indicators by 10mm. I have Gerry's front end and the springs are as long as they can go on the shocks, any ideas from the Clan? If your idea is buy some new ones and drill a hole 10mm higher I got there, but thanks. Also, do I need to adjust the suspension so the wheels centre after a turn or is this taken care of by the way the uprights fit into the wishbones? Sorry, but I have very little expertise in the area of suspension.

Best wishes to you all.

CM
Last edited by Cotton Mouth on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hmm - not sure on the indicator solution. IVA manual says they must be minimum 350mm from the ground, but I can't remember if that was the bottom of the fitting or the centre. Probably the bottom. You've got to go to the IVA with a full tank of fuel - would filling up push the back of the car down such that the front rises by 10mm, i wonder?

I had an issue with fog/reverse. I fitted them 260mm from the ground, but when I filled up with fuel they were only 230mm, so that was one of my failure points.

As far as I know, there is a built-in castor angle to the whole steering arrangement, and this will take care of your steering self-centreing question. No adjustment necessary (or even possible).

Cheers,
Andy