Rover speedo cabling

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
richmixture

Post by richmixture »

Gents, I have a LT77 gearbox, and I cant understand why you dont put in a mechanical speedo, its so much easier, rather that wiring in all that junk?

I am not sure how to go about it, but I do know that you need to substitue a yellow wire and interlink it with the loom, I believe there is a guy - andy, at speedy cables that might be able to help you.

Kris
Kris
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Kris, how would you calibrate a mechanical speedo for SVA if the rear diff ratio and tyre sizes are different from the original vehicle? :? It is easier to calibrate the electronic one, so I think that is the reason why they are used. :)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Wynterburne

Post by Wynterburne »

Hi

I completely agree with Kris. My car has an electronic speedo and it is a complete pain. I can do 150mph in the garage!

If you fit one, make absolutely sure you separate and shield all the wires to the unit from the gearbox, mine isn't and, like Kris says, I am going to chuck it all away. Also, the electronic versions do not have a trip meter which I find useful, don't ask wjy though!!

I have bought the mechanical speedo bits for the gearbox from Rimmer Bros and will get the speedo from Speedy Cables.

Yes, it has to be calibrated but they have a form on their site which shows what data they need and this can be done before ordering the speedo or cable.

It is £240 odd but it will probably save me 3 points and a few quid in fines, especially in France.

Regards

Richard
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Richard,
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you on this one. I have the electronic speedo and it was a doddle to fit and calibrate. It was checked with the rolling road at the SVA and is no more than 3mph out at 70mph!
It does have a trip mileage and the only down side is that the odometer mileage is digital so not too period looking.
Cheers, Clive.

Wynterburne

Post by Wynterburne »

Hi Clive.

I didn't fit mine so don't know how easyt it was. Certainly for the first 2,000 miles it was fine but since then pretty poor. Mine also has the Hawk logo and Gerry does not pay me to advertise!

I just like mechanical things, gives me something to do when the speedo cable breaks.

Look forward to the "twins" meeting at Silverstone.

regards

Richard
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Richard, I noticed that Allan Tunstall's electronic speedo also has the "Hawk" logo on it. I can appreciate that Gerry wants to advertise his brand and that I assume is why he supplied me with his logo badges for the bonnet and boot. I also see his spinners are available with the Hawk logo but not AC!
It is in my opinion the same as buying a car from a dealer, why should we drive around with the dealer's stickers on the back windows and number plates? After all they should be paying us to carry their advertising!
I too am looking forward to Silverstone and comparing cars!
Cheers, Clive.

kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Now now boys, I think you will both have to kiss and make up at Silverstone !!!
I am also looking forwards to seeing "the twins"
What fun :D

Bill
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Another advantage of using the electronic speedo is that you can put an inline fuse in the circuit and if it "blows" it might take some time to fix especially if you have restricted mileage insurance! :wink:
Cheers, Clive.

richmixture

Post by richmixture »

Gents - who are the twins??

Anyway, I digress, the mech speedo is easy to calibrate, you push the car out the garage, measure a length out on the street in yards, then you take the wheels on your car, and note down the sizes - then you mark one side of the speedo cable, and then hold it, get a couple of good mates, you might need to tempt them with beer to push your car along to the length that you measure out, while they to that you count how many times the the mark on your speedo cable rotates, when you reach the end of the mark you take the number of rotations and send that with the wheel size and distance with the speedo to speedy cables, and the man there, a very nice man, will calibrate it for you.

None of the clocking up miles in the garage or 150mph, richard must have the fastest cobra standing still!

All the best
Kris 8)
Kris