Mbg based ace

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Andy64

Mbg based ace

Post by Andy64 »

Hi all
I'm thinking of building a hawk ace. One option is to use most mbg gt components including engine. I may be able to get hold of a good running mg off a mate, thereby making it an easier build. what are the disadvantages of using a 1800 engine as opposed to a triump 2500 one? Obviously torque and speed, but will the 1800 be sufficient as it's a lighter car then original mg.

Has anyone built an 1800 version and was it ok. I'm not interested in a performance track car just a nice period looking car. To be fair I've spoken to a local cobra builder (really envious of his work) and nearly convinced to put a v8 in but this increases the challenge due to upgrades etc.

Or, big ask I know, has anyone got a part built ace or 298 for sale. You never know!

Look forward to replies.

Andy
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Mbg based ace

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Andy - and welcome to the forum!

Can't really answer your question directly, but a good chap to know is Paul Anderson who is building an Ace and putting an original AC engine in it (see his website here: https://aceac.weebly.com ) . So he has had to re-bracket the standard Hawk chassis to achieve this. He may be able to tell you how easy or difficult that was, which might inform your decision on whether to keep yours standard Hawk with the Triumph engine, or go with the MGB engine. Worth asking Gerry Hawkridge too.

I think there may be a 289 for sale in a thread in the for-sale section. Not sure if it has gone yet though.

Andy
Andy64

Post by Andy64 »

Hi Andy
Thanks for your reply. I aim to pop down to see Gerry in a few months. I have been in touch with him and some suppliers etc.

Interesting comment about the ace refit.
Has anyone actually put a hawk body on a different chassis such as a vitesse or gt6 fir example. This avoids IVA then

Andy
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Andy - yes, I've met Paul a few times and he's quite happy to chat about his project, so maybe use the contact form on his site to get in touch. He's on this forum too, but doesn't come on very often.

Not sure about Hawk bodies on an existing chassis. I imagine there'd be a lot of compromises there - I foresee lots of cutting the body around to make it fit and, who knows, maybe also cutting the chassis to make the wheels fit in the arches. Not a route I'd want to take myself, but you may be more competent than I am. Mine was a first-time project, so I was happy to stick with standard Hawk stuff.

Just gone through IVA with my 289 and although it is a worry, Gerry has actually taken a lot of the work out of complying. His kit seems very high quality fibreglass, doesn't have any un-radiused edges that you might fail on. His dash is already IVA compliant with slightly recessed places for instruments, and the switches are all within the IVA-exempt zone round the steering wheel. So all in all, he's taken care of many things. Other things aren't hard to comply with, and you can always ask a club member to come over and eyeball it for you to pick up things you didn't spot (assuming you join the club of course - sign up here if you want to get a great magazine and club support).

Where are you based? Happy for you to look at mine if you're anywhere near Farnham.

Cheers,
Andy
kenv

Post by kenv »

Hi Andy,
In the middle of building a 2.5 Hawk Ace, Just to be aware, you need a roadster back axle for the Ace version, the other too wide. Using all the B oily bits would make registration for age related plate easier as it's extra points. If you're building to a budget, check out the cost of the necessary bits to get it looking as right as you can mounts up! I'm fairly close to where Amulheirn lives, so you could see an Ace too if you wish. there are some very help build experiences on building and servicing section which are worth checking out.
Good luck with your decision.
Regards Ken
Regards
Ken
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The straight 6's sound so much better than a 4 pot. If you can stretch to the slightly larger budget it would be something you would never regret!
Just my humble opinion.

It woul be a considerable amount of work to fit a Hawk body to another chassis and it would be something that isn't right in many ways, which would be reflected in any resale value. Another point is incorrectly registered cars are receiving a great deal of negative press at the moment and such a hybrid, that you are potentially considering, could inadvertently be placed in this bracket too!

Have you considered joining the club? Plenty of benefits if you do!!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Plus one vote for a straight 6!
Regardless of power, a Cobra without a V8 ain't right, and an Ace isn't compete without a raspy 6-cyl!

Has anyone ever done an MGC-based Ace? If only there was A BASKET CASE MGC to use as a donor! :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

In the 60’s and 70’s engine changes were quite common amongst the motor club set wanting a tad more power. I am sure that some MGB’s gained both 6 and 8 cylinder engines as a home modification.
The weight of a Rover V8’s was the same as an 1800 four pot.
Peter C
Slowjoe

Post by Slowjoe »

Hi All, just to let you know there is a mgb powered 289and it works and sounds good enough for me.It just passed the iva test in June and is registered as a hawk 289.the number plate is age related.IWish I could say it was a straightforward build but it has taken me almost 11 years hence the Slowjoe.It was a retirement project and I wanted to do it all myself.The iva tester was surprised I drove to the test as he said most kits are trailered.It failed on rear brakes locking up first and several minor points.He also said Jerry's build quality was excellent.
I have only driven about 700 ml and expect all kinds of teething problems but so far everything is good.Handling is precise, acceleration is quick enough for a pensioner.Motorway driving is no problem with overdrive.The MGB specs and early ace seem very similar to me.Anyway if I can find out how to download pictures I will but it may take some time,Bye for now Slowjoe
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Well done Joe. I have heard quite a few MGB’s with a good exhaust note.
I am not sure whether you have the record time for a slow build. I think there are more than one or two members who took their time. The main thing is I hoped you enjoyed the build and can now certainly enjoy the drive knowing that you are probably getting nearly twice as many MPG.
Peter C