Side screen

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Slowjoe

Side screen

Post by Slowjoe »

I have searched the forum for advice about what rubber seal to get for the bottom of the frame and also the sliding window channel without success, any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.Joe
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Side screen

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Joe, most of us get the screens trimmed in mohair or other material. This includes a flap that sits on the top of the door rather than a rubber seal. A company called Monsoon car hoods did mine. They've done plenty of the Hawk Sidescreens so know what is involved.
Hope that helps.

Post by Slowjoe »

Hi Stu,thanks for the reply.Could you tell me if the screens would have the sliding window channel fitted as well?Also a cheeky one approx how much Thanks Joe
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Joe,

Yes mine has the sliding window and channel too. I cant remember for the life of me how much as it was nearly 10 years ago. I'm sure if you called them and explained you have some Hawk sidescreens and you want a price to trim them, they'll be happy to oblige.
I'm assuming you have the frames and Perspex from Gerry already? If so you have to follow the pre trimming instructions as in the build manual.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

There is a situation where the water runs around the out side of the screen pillar and finds its way under the flap of the side screen. Annoyingly it then travels along until level with your shoulder before air currents flip it onto you.
I have fitted some door seal rubber which is a 18mm hollow tube with a flat surface to allow gluing. The hollow section can be squashed down to approx 6mm so will take into account the varying gap under the side screen.
Obtained from one of the trimmers but sorry I can't remember which one.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Another comment is that Gerry’s sidescreen’kit’ has a Perspex front fixed portion. I found this difficult to cut and get a clean edge. I swopped it for Polycarbonate which is significantly stronger so will resist stone impact.
I had my frame covered by Polyfacto which is Gerry’s recommended trimmer but as Stewbie says you need to cut the frame to suit the windscreen rake as per the build manual.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Monsoon are what was Polyfacto....
Migge

Post by Migge »

So you already have the frames. If not:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/273429323412
Special customized BRA289
Slowjoe

Post by Slowjoe »

Hi just an update about side screens.I fitted them this morning and realised why they need trimming and not just a case of a bit rubber on the bottom.Well I phoned monsoon as suggested by Stu, unfortunately the chap that does the trimming has retired and they no longer do this service but gave me a number for Vamped trim co.Anyway I found a trimmer in Newcastle so drove over and enquired about trimming and fitting the hood.He said he wouldn't normally fit someone else's hood but seeing I was crying he would help me out.I want to thank you for the replies Joe.

Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

I used a trimmer name of Dave Winter based on Worksop. Contact number is 07866490653.

Made a very good job, trimmed in Mohair and fitted to match the hood perfectly. Keep out the draft and with heater on the car is toasty even on frost days!

Cheers

J