Rotary switches for wiper/washer

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Rotary switches for wiper/washer

Post by Jerryedmans »

I've had some trouble trying to locate these as appear rare or out of stock most places. Have just found a really helpful shop Revington TR who have supplied plus have a good range of other parts that might be helpful such as the original rotary knobs for TRs etc. Link below in case anyone interested.
https://www.revingtontr.com
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Rotary switches for wiper/washer

Post by peterc »

Jerry,
I purchased my Triumph GT6 rotary wiper switch from Rimmer Bros. You need to carefully cut off the pump action washer cylinder and prevent the shaft from falling out. Terminals are numbered with no knowledge of what does what. But I sussed out the following.
Wiring is No 1 - park ( brown/ green) , No2- 1st speed (red/green) , No3- battery live (green) , No4- 2nd speed ( blue green)
This was covered in my article back in Spring 2017 edition of the magazine as part of my revamp of the dash to get more authentic looking switches.
Perhaps you might be able to find a rotary switch without the washer function??
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Am I right in thinking these are usually £50-£70 each with out the correct fluted knob?
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

There are some with red and blue flying leads off the back of them.
The quality is dire.
I've not tried the ones without the flying leads.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The part I purchased from Rimmer was called wash/ wiper switch (alternative) - part No 155495ALT and cost £36.67 plus VAT plus delivery but you do need to also buy the bezel nut and 1/4” unf half nut to bolt it into the dash.
Unfortunately the bezel is bigger than the bezels on the other switches.
There were no leads on the rear terminals?
Yes, it came without the scalloped knob which I mangaged to get from Ashley Hinton via EBay.
In fact he sells quite a few knobs that are suitable for Cobras.
Peter C
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Many thanks for help. Yes I got knobs from Ashley Hinton. Now have got Lucas wiper/ washer switch. Shaft too long so will need to shorten - shame as will lose the retaining button. I got the othe rotary switches from AES but had to grind down the hex shaft to fit the knobs as Lucas are 1/4" and the AES switches were 7mm. But appear to have done the job.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Before cutting the shaft shorter check if you can’t lose the length from the opposite end. I seem to remember I thought that after cutting.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Would be interested in any photos of this modification - either here, in the wiki or in the magazine. I know Phil is looking for articles at the moment, and I'd like to do the rotary knob thing myself some time. Too many other jobs on right now!
Cheers,
A.
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Ok can get photos of finished dash plus a case up if rotary switch. I dismantled the Lucas wiper an removed the shaft. The other end is grooved to take the retaining circlip and finished to push the washed switch, so I did have to chop the end with retaining button. Not a problem. With a small wrap of tape, the hex shaft fits tightly into knob and looks fine fitted. Have now refitted dash, leather clad with glove box. Have added a relay so that the switch on back of indicator stalk can dip the lights (I didn't like groping for toggle dip switch in the dark with on coming car) and added a push button for horn (easy to find but rarely used). Rear Lucas lights now fitted adapted with spyder LEDs. All ready now to tear down again and get painted!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Something you might wish to consider at a later date is using the Rover P6 dip switch which was used on the original Cobra. I wrote about it in the 2017 Spring edition of the club mag. It also has a H/Light flash facility.
Peter C