Vapour lock

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Vapour lock

Post by simonjrwinter »

Had my first experience of (what I believe to be) vapour lock today.
After a decent 20+ mile run the car started to run a little rough. I think I may have a little bit of dirt in one of the jets (well that’s what it was last time) as I pulled into my drive, it stumbled and died. Could I start the bugger? Nope. Waited a min or two and it started (same roughness)
I guess if you’re going to get vapour lock, the hottest day of the year is the day to do it on!
No room for phonelic (sp) spacer as the air filter nearly touches the bonnet. Any ideas?
Ford 302 with Holley carb
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Vapour lock

Post by peterc »

Simon, hopefully one of the Ford engined guys can advise. Thinner air filter or look at a lower rise inlet manifold. Thankfully I was told in advance that I need a low rise inlet for my Rover so have had no issues with fitting an insulating block.
My filter is also dished on the underside thus dropping that down as well.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Thhanks Peter, I’ll look into the spacer just in case I can squeeze a bit more room. I’ve also ordered some heat reflective sleeve for the fuel hose.
I’ve also installed a manual fan switch in the car. Having driven my TR6 V8 for many years, I’m accustomed to flicking the fan on in queues “just in case”
I was starting to panic in the cobra when the temp gauge started rising and it was a while before the thermostat kicked in. I’m sure being able to turn on the fans will assist with temps.
Simon
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Simon,

Sorry but I haven't had any of the symptoms you seem to be experiencing with my 302. I did have to change my inlet manifold when I first got my engine as it was too high to close the bonnet with the Holley carb and air cleaner fitted. (If I remember correctly it is an Edelbrock Performer). The only problem I do have is starting the engine when it is warm. I have an auto choke and if I touch the accelerator pedal when the engine is warm/hot, it tends to flood the engine and it takes a bit of starting. I always meant to disconnect the choke, but after 14 years and over 40,000 miles, I just haven't got round to doing it yet!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Despite having twin thermostatically controlled fans that switch at differing temperatures I always flick on one of the fans manually as soon as the temp reaches 90 and the traffic queue is not moving.
Just returned from Goodwood and with today’s temperatures up in the 30’s the under bonnet temp when I stopped in my garage was tremendous. The bonnet support rod was so hot I dropped it!
The surrounding fibreglass keeps the heat in. Something to be said about the benefit of mounting a miniature computer fan behind each of the side vents to keep the air moving.
Good luck with finding the answer to finding enough space for the insulting gasket under the carb.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I wonder if there’s any benefit to extra brackets under the bonnet for the bonnet lock to hold the bonnet up slightly on REALLY hot days (if you get what I mean)
Morgan owners have something similar to help dissipate heat.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just like Fiat 500 Abarths of the ‘60’s.
I think one of the CRC guys down our way does that for his Cobra especially when doing the Brighton speed trial.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 am Just like Fiat 500 Abarths of the ‘60’s.
I think one of the CRC guys down our way does that for his Cobra especially when doing the Brighton speed trial.
Peter C
- be interested to see what that looks like.

There is also the 'Gumball bonnet mod' although it would act as a nice funnel for rain when standing....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qPkepYZjk
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Only broken down 4 times (so far) on the way to carfest.....