Tripo headlights

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Tripo headlights

Post by peterc »

Hi Guys,
I have just conducted a number of tests with my camera on both P700 and PL700 units. Actually the PL’s which I assume were a slightly later design than the P’s did give a slightly greater light output. Installing LED’s was a huge improvement but the differences between the two designs had mixed results.
The P’s had a more defined cut off but not so good low down and the PL was a bit woolly on the cut off but was better in the foreground. I now need to road test the PL’s with the LED’s to see if it is good enough to live with otherwise I will be joining Clive with some Cibie’s.
I won’t say more as a lengthy article is now with Valerie. You could say the investigation was enlightening !!
P.S.
Clive you are correct that Cobras were most likely to have been issued with plain sealed beam units.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

What appears to be the problem with fitting LED bulbs to standard reflector type headlamps is that the reflector is designed to focus the light from one small source, ie. the element in a Halogen bulb. Some LED bulbs have a number of light emitting diodes in them and therefore produce a scatter effect because the light source isn't central. It is therefore essential to source LED bulbs whose LEDs are in the same location as the element of a halogen bulb otherwise you will dazzle oncoming road users.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

You are correct Clive I am sure many bulbs offered are not necessarily like for like in location. The two suppliers I looked at both highlighted the positional relationship with a halogen bulb. Question is the halogen design the same position as the BPF’s around which the P and PL were designed.
Peter C
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Does anyone have a part number handy for the chrome trims that fit over these lights please? I bought a pair about 3 years ago from Holden and the trims i ordered don't fit.

cheers