Got my new toy!

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Karl

Re: Got my new toy!

Post by Karl »

Dave, when you still have the alternator on the RH side, check that the drive belt is not in the way or too close to the top waterhose from thermostat housing to header tank.
Regards Karl
v8bassman

Post by v8bassman »

Thanks Karl, will do.
I started building up the front suspension today using the tubular set-up, got as far as I could without the shocker units and the second set of wishbone bushes I forgot to order!
Dave
1965 Mustang Fastback
Karl

Post by Karl »

Dave, did you get Polyurethane bushings from Gerry? On your picture I cannot see if they are blue. If they are black rubber (what he normally supplies) throw them away, they are no good.
Regards
Karl
Karl

Post by Karl »

Some pictures to compare
Karl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
v8bassman

Post by v8bassman »

I've used the standard (V8) rubber bushes. Having restored and owned a good few MGB's over the last 30 years and currently owning a V8 Roadster I've never had a problem with standard bushes. When I rebuilt the one we currently have I did initially fit Poly bushes all round and the ride became too firm, so I changed back to rubber. After talking to my parts supplier who also restores MGBs, he said they never fit Poly bushes for the same reason, even to their race cars!!!
Dave
1965 Mustang Fastback
Karl

Post by Karl »

I am running my Midget with poly bushes now since 5 years and I am very happy with them. Nylatron are very hard and normally only for the race track. Some of the rubber bushes already develop tears, when you press them in, also when properly lubricated. Poly is also much more easy to replace, if needed.
Other opinions and experiences welcome.
Karl
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Ditto - I have V8 rubber bushes on mine, now done 6,000 miles with no trouble and pinpoint handling.
I would never use polyurethane bushes - I have seen too many cars with cracked or stressed suspension components from the extra strain induced. If you're going to strip your suspension every few weeks to check everything, as in a race car, OK - but for many miles of road use it's rubber all the way!!

Roger
v8bassman

Progress Report

Post by v8bassman »

Things are going quite well now. I've managed to get 40 hours build time in since Xmas, here are some pics:

If all goes according to plan, the engine & 'box will be installed later this week. The windscreen should arrive by the end of next week so if I can keep up the current workrate I should be applying for SVA early Feb to get a date before the end of April
Dave
1965 Mustang Fastback
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Looking good Dave, keep up the good work.
At that rate she will be ready to make a debut at Silverstone Classic 8) :wink:
Bill
v8bassman

Post by v8bassman »

kaiserbilly1 wrote:Looking good Dave, keep up the good work.
At that rate she will be ready to make a debut at Silverstone Classic 8) :wink:
Bill
I'm hoping she will be there, but probably wont be painted - the budget was blown weeks ago!
Dave
1965 Mustang Fastback