New guy introduction

289, FIA & Daytona topics
jolsen42

New guy introduction

Post by jolsen42 »

Hi all, just want to introduce myself. My name is John Olsen, and I'm from across the pond as they say. I've always been a Cobra fanatic. Couldn't afford one when they first came out and certainly can't afford one now. Soo, I built myself a replica. The chassis is from Factory Five Racing, and the body is made by Bruce Chervonak near Pittsburgh USA. Here are a few pics of my baby.

Thanks,

John O
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: New guy introduction

Post by Dave Woodward »

Welcome to the club John. That is one stunning car you have there.

Would be great to hear some details about the car spec, and the build process. Most of the cars in the 289 Register are from Hawk Cars, widely regarded as the best 289 replicas in the UK.

Always good to hear about other manufactures.

Kind regards.

Dave.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Welcome John and a lovely looking Cobra.

289s seem to be quite rare in the US, with most people going for the 427 body style. Although this is the 289 Register, we do have a handful of members with 427s, including me. I have a Kirkham 427 S/C.

Any chance of you getting over here for one of our events, without the Cobra obviously ?

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi John and welcome. What a lovely looking car and I love the registration number, very appropriate! :P
Migge

Post by Migge »

Hi John,

have seen your progress at clubcobra, great car tranformation.

Cheers
Migge
jolsen42

Post by jolsen42 »

Thanks guys for the welcome,
Dave, the chassis has been well used. I purchased a kit from Factory Five Racing in 1997 and did their basic build. 5.0 efi crate motor, and a t-5 trans. Here is a pic.
I then purchased another 427 body from another fabricator which was more authenic looking. Built a 427W and made a street 427. Here is a pic.
You notice that I like this color. :mrgreen:

But I've always loved the 289 and this body became available, sooo, here I go again.I found an old '65 289 and rebuilt it to Hi-Po specs. Solid lifter cam ( there's something erotic about solid lifters ) main caps, Hi-Po balancer and dual point distributor. Found an old Cobra dual quad intake but couldn't find the carbs, so I used edelbrock which were copied from the old Carter AFB's. Running a Tremec TKO 5 spd trans and a ford 8.8 traction loc rear with 3,55 gears. Had to do a lot of fabricating tho. Didn't like where the motor mounts were so I moved them up about 3 inches. Had to relocate the front and rear supensions in about 2 1/2 inches each side, fabricate a shelf for the fuel tank, Fabricate the dash and glovebox and replicate the radiator setup. Got an original alternator bracket and just recently found an original type alternator from a 63-64 T-Bird which I will be installing this spring. The luggage rack is an original. These things are like hens teeth, there aren't any :D I wasn't even looking for one, and one day I was perusing EBAY and there it was. I'm embarassed to say what I paid for it, so I won't. But it's like I stole it. I didn't even try to "Christian" him down. I paid him his asking price.

This will be my last build tho. I've achieved my goal and besides I'm too old to do another. But wait, my son just bought a Cobra so I'm sure I'll be helping him. I can hear the phone calls now, Dad can you come over and... They're going to bury me with a torque wrench. :mrgreen:

Paul, while I'd love to get over to your part of the world, the chances are probably slim and none.

Thanks guys.

Regards,

John O
Last edited by jolsen42 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Lovely car.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Love the continuous evolution. There are a few of us over here who are always thinking about the next change too :oops:

Can I ask where you sourced the expansion tank? Have been looking for a nice one like that for a while. The closest I can find is the old Lincoln tank.

Cheers.
jolsen42

Post by jolsen42 »

Dave, that's what mine is. It's from a 61 Lincoln 430. Had to close off the stock necks, reconfigure the mounting bracket and solder on new fittings. I think it looks just like the original 289 street tank.

John
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Hi John.
It`s so funny to see 'reverse evolution', but your Cobra got better and better with every backward step!!! :lol:
Stunning, a really convincing build.
I guess you know that your namesake, John Ohlsen, was a notable Shelby Team mechanic back in `64-65?
(Seen here leaning on the rollbar, Targa Florio, 1964)

(Photo credit to the Cobra Fearrari Wars website.)

Great to have you in the 289 Register. 8)