Another new member

Other topics
Allanw

Another new member

Post by Allanw »

Hello all.

I've just recently joined the Register so I thought I would introduce myself...

I'm just starting to reignite my relationship with AC Cobras (I fell in love in my early teens then moved on to other things in my twenties) and am seriously revisiting my boyhood dream of building a replica. The first time around it was all about the 427's and the big Shelby racing stripes, but now my tastes have matured a little and I'm currently falling halfway between an Ace and a 289.

I'm a bit short on space and my children are still relatively young, so I think its going to be a slow burner for me - not least because my mechanical skills are limited and this way I can develop some skills before taking the plunge. Speaking of which, I was thinking a good initial project could be to acquire a (cheapish) engine and just play. Ideally that would/could be the engine that eventually ends up in my AC replica so I've been looking at Triumph 6-cylinders (and Rover V8s, but the smaller the better I think so the 6 is where I plan to go). Does anyone know if the Hawk Ace will accept the 2.0 Triumph I6 (there seem to be more of those around than 2.5s)? Does it make a big difference which engine you go for or do you need to be specific?

I suspect I will be a reader more than a writer on here for a while, but fingers crossed I might be in a position to share some actual experience in due course!

Thanks for listening,

Allan.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Another new member

Post by StewbieC »

Hello Allan,
Welcome aboard.
The only things to consider are that A, Gerrys waiting list is around 15-18 months and B, all options are possible but if you go "off piste" things become a little more tricky and potentially may end up costing a fair bit more.
Cars need to be built to a standard to pass the IVA test and also need to follow the guidelines if you wish to obtain an age related plate rather than a vehicle of questionable origin / Q plate.
Two major components must be from a single donor vehicle other than one other part, the rest must be new or receipted as new.
So if you can obtain a suitable engine and gearbox from the same donor vehicle (of which you will use the V5 as the donor V5) then that will suffice. One further old part (maybe a rear axle) and the rest new and you will be good to go.
Good luck with the planning and fire away with any questions you may have.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Another new member

Post by amulheirn »

Welcome Allan!

I started the same way as you - bought an engine first, then a welder to make a stand, then finally ordered the car from Gerry. Mine is a Ford 302 in a 289. If you're anywhere near Farnham, you'd be welcome to inspect and discuss it over some tea in my garage. While I built the engine, I was also renovating the house, with our first child on the way - the car was built over about 4 years since the engine was first started. A bit difficult to juggle things sometimes...

I can't answer your question on the engine fitting in the Ace - give Gerry a ring and ask him. I heard he's had specially-bracketed chassis made for people with particular engine requirements in the past, but like Stu says, going non-standard is going to cost more.

Cheers,
Andy
AllanW wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:36 pm Hello all.

I've just recently joined the Register so I thought I would introduce myself...

I'm just starting to reignite my relationship with AC Cobras (I fell in love in my early teens then moved on to other things in my twenties) and am seriously revisiting my boyhood dream of building a replica. The first time around it was all about the 427's and the big Shelby racing stripes, but now my tastes have matured a little and I'm currently falling halfway between an Ace and a 289.

I'm a bit short on space and my children are still relatively young, so I think its going to be a slow burner for me - not least because my mechanical skills are limited and this way I can develop some skills before taking the plunge. Speaking of which, I was thinking a good initial project could be to acquire a (cheapish) engine and just play. Ideally that would/could be the engine that eventually ends up in my AC replica so I've been looking at Triumph 6-cylinders (and Rover V8s, but the smaller the better I think so the 6 is where I plan to go). Does anyone know if the Hawk Ace will accept the 2.0 Triumph I6 (there seem to be more of those around than 2.5s)? Does it make a big difference which engine you go for or do you need to be specific?

I suspect I will be a reader more than a writer on here for a while, but fingers crossed I might be in a position to share some actual experience in due course!

Thanks for listening,

Allan.